Security Toolbar 7.1 removal/eradication

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Raelf, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raelf

Raelf Registered Member

Hello!

While surfing for some World of Warcraft information, I was duped into loading an Active X control which was actually a "Security Toolbar 7.1" download. It hijacked my homepage, put shortcuts to itself on my desktop and start menus, and an "alert" icon in the system tray.

Eset Smart Security caught the inital infection, but subsequently, has found nothing. I've run AdAware (free) a few times and it seems to catch 30 or more instances each time.

I have manually used "Add/Remove Programs" to get it off my IE toolbar, and have deleted the shortcuts, but it keeps returning.

I have several machines (not on this network, thankfully). This particular machine is a bit of a "frankenstein/noname" spare parts box. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3, with IE7 installed, and Eset Smart Security. If I remember correctly, this machine is an older P4, 3.2G single core processor, 500W PS, Asus MoBo, NVidia 6850 OC video Card, and possibly a Soundblaster audio card, with a 250GB off-board storage drive attached via Fire-Wire. It really is a mash-up of old parts ;), but it's my only game capable machine (barely) at my NoVa home.

Can anyone give me the specific steps I need to take to remove this trojan? I'm afraid to log into anything, as I don't know if there is a key logger associated with this crap. I'm a Linux guy, and a bit of a Windows dummy, so step by step instruction would be appreciated. Windows just isn't my native language.

It's just my opinion, but I think that those who write worms and viruses should be publicly executed...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

i would download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Superantispyware home, update them and run them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.