Security Suites vs. Standalone Programs

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Silent, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silent

Silent Registered Member

I'd like some advice as to which of the following two choices would provide the best protection possible without considerably slowing down a system:

1. ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 6 OR

2. Combination of AVG Antivirus Professional, EWIDO, Microsoft Defender, Zonealarm PRO Firewall.

Thanks.

2. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

the latter of the two will absord alot of memory.....

Most security suites will use alot of memory regardless, they may go up or down depending on updates and so forth and sometimes bug happen that spike up the memory on programs....

Stand alone programs in my opinion are better but the only thing about them is you have to find programs that work well together and you have to configure them seperately to be really effective.....

I think that's the main selling point of security suites is that out the box they are pretty effective (i.e Mcafee Internet Security) and that's what people want these days....easy products to use without the headache....

3. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

They are both good choices but than again it all depends on your surfing habits as well. Really both will slow down your system slightly but out of the two I would prob pick the 2nd one as its got bit more to it and also each component is different as well. I'm not sure how good AVG pro is, but why not use NOD32 or Avast Pro instead, I mean its entirely up to you, but for me personally I would pick NOD32 or Avast Pro over AVG Pro. Another good options would be to try Bitdefender Pro 9 or their Security Suite and see how you go.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the first IMO would be lighter and the second would offer more protection.

id try the following combination instead: antivir classic, ewido paid, and zonealarm free.

5. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

ZoneAlarm, AntiVir, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot & Ad-Aware with Sandboxie used only for shopping, (all free).

Supplemented with ewido.micro and Kasperski Online Scans for extra 'peace-of-mind' (and they never find a thing).

6. Antus

Antus Registered Member

Silent may I also recommend Freedom Security Suite. Very low resource consumption. Firewall has passed all port scans showing stealth. Anti virus software updates every 3 hours. Many other features included such as pop up blocker.....anti spyware included, parent control included. ..My ISP provided this free and was very pleased with it.

Attached Files:

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I prefer stand-alone combinations over security suites.

I'd choose option #2 but I'd use antivir or avast(free) instead of avg.
    If you want to pay for an antivirus,there are better choices.

Regarding Freedom Security Suite.....getting it free may be o.k.
    But check out the prices.. $70 !!! No way it's worth that if you do have to pay for it.

http://www.freedom.net/products/index.html

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive trialed AVG PLUS FIREWALL edition ,and quite liked it.The pros are that it was very simple to setup and forget.The firewall was effective enough and also had advanced functions.I dont know how it fares in leaktests ,but then again i dont really consider leaktest passing firewalls as a must have,anyway.The cons are that AVG isnt the best AV in the world (though it protected me for a few years without any problems) ,and it isnt that good on spy/adware.This i assume will change if ewido sigs are added though..It doesnt have antispam and other such features though.I consider that a blessing as many other suites have such features and they are not that good anyway compared to dedicated programmes.It also ran very light on my p3 98 machine.Just another option for you anyway.
    ellison

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

if your looking suite Kaspersky Internet Suite available next Monday or indivduals Avast Pro, Ewido & Kerio (free)...

10. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi Silent,
    This is my opinion: for a suite i would choose Kapersky Internet 6.
    for stand alone Kaspersky anti-virus & Zonealarm Pro 6. kaspersky and Zonealarm work well together.
    BC.

11. lifehacker

lifehacker Registered Member

What opinions do you people have on the BitDefender Pro Plus Suite?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.