Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

On my computers, I only use microsoft security essentials, looknstop and a LOT of security trics and a completly locked windows.

But it is not a really good idea for my friends computers.... So I am looking for a good security suite (AV, Firewall) for windows 7.

But I don't want to hear about ESET... I used it for years... and in the last year I had nothing but problems... NOD32 is still ok, but Smart Security and the firewall are HORRIBLE... I am just finding problems over and over again...

So... I just don't know what to use...

Bitdefender, trend micro, symantec, mcafee, kaspersky....

Thanks for your help

Alex

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Out of the those you mentioned, I would ignore Bitdefender, Trend, and McAfee. Norton and Kaspersky both are solid, well-performing products. My system likes Kaspersky a bit more it seems, as Norton slowed my browsing by a bit when I had it.

3. guest

guest Guest

Any reason to forget about trend micro?

4. IBadget

IBadget Registered Member

I'd recommend Comodo Internet Security for the Default-Deny diehards.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I apologize, I should have stuck a "my opinion" in my post. I honestly did not like Trend at all. It was very very slow for me, it missed a lot of malware that others caught easily. It DID however do pretty decent cleanup for me (it left nothing running, but left behind remaining registry entries and a few dead files).

6. icr

icr Registered Member

Why not try your hands on freeware actually you have mentioned almost all the notable antiviruses and there will be many suggestions from different members so I suggest you to try for yourself and decide which one suites you the best:thumb:

7. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

To be honest, there is no need for a security suite. He has Windows 7 Firewall which is a good firewall. And he might even be behind a router, Win 7 Firewall + Router Firewall = Great.
    You say he is a normal user, normal users wont control all their outbound and inbound traffic anyway, which is the only advantage of any firewall over the Windows Firewall, a firewall as malware protection is overrated. It has to keep hackers away only.

So you could install Avast 5 Free or Microsoft Security Essentials which are both great on Windows 7 and both are really set and forget. Next to that an on-demand like Malwarebytes/a-squared.

Or buy the package NOD32 + Hitman Pro license key on the Hitman Pro shop, which is a great combination. (I use Windows 7 + NOD32 + Hitman Pro, simple and strong)

8. tipo

tipo Registered Member

well said!

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Comodo is great for people that can tolerate pop ups (ME :D)
    But for the average user they will get confused.

Kaspersky is a good overall suite. Avira has good detection. Avast 5 have been getting lots of positive responses :D

10. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

IMHO, if you are looking for a suite, then go with Norton IS 2010 or KIS 2010. Both are in good touch. Pretty much strong and won't slow down your system. As far as firewall is concerned then please do note that KIS 2010 have a strong firewall as compared to NIS 2010.

If you can bear with pop ups then i would suggest you to go with Comodo Internet Security, its good and free too.

You can also go with Zone Alarm Extreme Security, it is also good security suite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.