Security Suite

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Motherroad, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

I am using KIS at the moment and was considering trying the new Eset suite. Seems to me that KIS has a lot more overall system protection than Eset. Registry protection etc. How can this Suite compete with a suite that has so much protection?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Motherroad,

Every protective measure that one could dare to contemplate generally has:
    • More than one route to realize
    • Increased potential downside consequences (this applies to all protective measures, there are no free rides)
    • Increased compatibility/conflict potential
    • Increased demands on user expertise.
    More is not always better, nor does more necessarily yield a better operational end-result. My personal feeling is that for the overwhelming bulk of users (and, when you get down it, this could include all users), these solutions are equivalent in terms of protection offered.

Blue

3. roaringhere

roaringhere Registered Member

I have tried KIS before and I would say that it hogs the system resources
    a lot, and uninstalled it on my XP, but I gave it a second look in Vista and
    found out that it haven't change, so I uninstalled it again. Now I am trying
    out this ESS and it seems to be good. I'll keep on testing this for a while.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

ESS is a really light product as all NOD32 products were/are .

Kaspersky have extremely slow scan engine which slows the systems really much . ESS uses only ~26 MB RAM and owns one of the fastest (if not the fastest) scan engines in the world -> NOD32's .

5. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Actually Kaspersky has always had one of the fastest scanning engines. I dunno how the new ESS stacks up, but saying Kaspersky has one of the slowest, is just wrong.

As for ESS, anyone know if there are plans for an Ad-Blocking module for ESS and IE7, like is in KIS?

6. DOOOMKULTUS

DOOOMKULTUS Registered Member

Ad blocking is not the purpose of AV or a suite like this,its the job of Browser.
    Don't compare these damn products it always ends up a side discussion.
    Why would one add such useless componments in a suite so as to make it a Bloatware,when u can use FF or opera for ad blocking,wats next,mp3 play in security suite,grow up ppl use better browser and leave ESS light weight and still effective.

7. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I believe it would be very usefull to ad and add blocker. You only have to configure it once for the several browsers. For example the add blocker in KIS is far better than in IE7, Opera or Firefox

8. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

he said Kasperky slowed the computer - I mis-read his original post TWICE. The slowing of the computer is bang-on - the scanning engine BEING slow is not accurate. System usages however, is really heavy on KIS in my experience.

9. flexus

flexus Registered Member

I have never heard anybody compliment the speed of Kaspersky's scan engine, this is a new one on me.

10. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Easy there big guy. Get a grip and grow up yourself. Taking your approach, neither is anti-spam, but it's there. It's the same concept. This is a "SUITE", thus other things will be included. Not comparing ESS to other suites is ridiculous because that is what this will be competing against. KIS, Outpost and Zone Alarm, to name a few, have ad blocking and if you don't want it or like it, you can simply turn it off and it won't affect a thing and won't bog you down, in the least.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  11. gderreck

gderreck Registered Member

CuckIV is right. ESS will be judged against other suites: Zone, Norton 360, OneCare, KIS, etc. Even Outpost will come out as a suite. If ESS is found lacking in features, etc, it won't reach the potential we all hope for it. Boy, is that lousy grammar.o_O Re the debate about KIS speed. Both sides are right. It is a bit resource intensive at first, but it can be set up to scan only new or changed files; both in the resident scanner, and the on demand scanner. The first system scan takes forever, but subsequent scans take about 4 minutes. KIS also throttles back if another process needs resources. What I think is missing, is ESET's philosophy of what they want the suite to be. Once that is clear, we can evaluate it on its merits. On the other hand, perhaps our dear friends at ESET are being very smart. Maybe they are looking very closely at our opinions and differences of opinion, to see what the market wants. I can't imagine that ESET became so successful by ignoring its users. Of course it has taken a long time to get them to put in a feature to ignore a potential threat :D

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hey. Well I did also use KIS for a while and i did also love the ad-blocker VERY MUCH, but what i diden't like with KIS was the firewall which made that i coulden't play CS whitout lagg.
    But i can highly recommend to add an "ad-blocker" in ESS suite.

ESS is great allredy but ESS will be greater with an ad-blocker

Regards Johan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.