security strategies that are too big a pain?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Aug 3, 2010.

?

Painful security strategies

1. HIPS - noisy ones, especially

56 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. sandboxes

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  3. antivirus programs - system slowdowns, false positives

29 vote(s)
    30.9%
  4. software restriction policies, applocker, uac, etc

34 vote(s)
    36.2%
  5. limited user account

41 vote(s)
    43.6%
  6. internet browser add ons (i.e. no script)

25 vote(s)
    26.6%
  7. web site restrictions (DNS service, sites blockers: ie. WOT)

18 vote(s)
    19.1%
  8. snapshot and image programs, data back ups, syncing

8 vote(s)
    8.5%
  9. on demand scanning with 3rd party apps (Hitman Pro, MBAM, etc)

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  10. Other- please post which

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Which security strategies are too big of a pain to implement? Check all that apply...

PS- I realize you may recommend whole heartedly to your friends, family, etc to use some of the above strategies. At the same time I am aware that what we say and what we do can sometimes be two different things. So just vote for what is a pain for you, not what shouldn't be too big a pain for others.

Also be sure and add any pains I have missed.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

All my hate :D is for limited user account and web site restrictions (DNS service, sites blockers: ie. WOT): never used.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

HIPS, restriction policies and LUA are the big ones in that list, the rest cause no headache at all or are tolerable as is/can be made easier.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

HIPS. It astounds me to see LUA in first :eek: Obviously a lot of people still don't get it. And yet, antivirus running real-time that likely does more overall to cripple a system than the combined impact of malware infections one might get with a common sense approach gets 0 results. Baffling indeed.

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

For me an antivirus in real-time is the most annoying!

It's a few days I'm running LUA + SRP with no real-time 3rd party software and I'm really enjoying it. :thumb:

6. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I'm with you pal! :)
    I voted for HIPS and Antivirus Programs

7. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

Having used all of the above, I can clearly state that using an LUA gave me the most grief.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I hate using Imaging software . . that's why . . . I SIMPLY DON'T! :D
    HIPS aren't a pain since i enjoy clicking through the pop ups and creating rules :rolleyes: :thumb:

9. icr

icr Registered Member

From my side I don't like web sites restriction and internet browser add ons as painfuls still very much required:D

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

LUA, SRP. I've tried so many times these strategies with Vista Ultimate, XP Pro, and they have never ever worked properly for me. I'm also sick and tired of some people's attitude whereby if you don't run LUA or SRP you are not in your right mind. I can understand the logic behind it, but for some it is just not practical.

11. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Oops, I clicked on a wrong poll :oops:

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+100% Agree!!! :thumb:

13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The LUA is a pain for sure. I personally thought noscript was the biggest headache I've ever ran across. It has some nice qualities, but overall caused me to hate getting into any conversation about Firefox (and I truly enjoy using FF).

14. progress

progress Guest

software restriction policies :gack:

15. carat

carat Guest

I don't recommend / like noisy HIPS :thumbd:

16. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I hope is not an OT: for me security strategies are not a pain, they are a fun. :)

17. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i hate pretty much all of them except on-demand scanning and imaging.

i'm running pretty much "naked" these days, except for what's in my sig.
    i'm the only one using this machine so i don't need much security.

i'm pretty much convinced that to get infected these days you have to install a malware yourself.

18. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I don't find implementing a security policy or configuring the apps that will enforce it to be a pain. AFAIC, a security strategy becomes a pain when it fails, like having to redo your system because the AV didn't do its job. When auto-updated security apps start conflicting with other apps on your system with no warning, or when you go to your PC in the morning and find it blue screened because of an AV update the previous night, then the strategy becomes a pain.

IMO, installing and/or configuring your security package isn't a pain. It's time well spent. Having to take the time to do it over because you didn't do it right the first time is a pain.

19. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

A noisy HIPS is by definition annoying, that's what it's meant to do, alert you all of the time. But a HIPS in general isn't that annoying, I rarely see a popup from Comodo Defense+.

Sandboxing is about the least annoying security setup. I had a few java exploits to test out Defense+ and it was a simple matter of deleting the Java sandbox after -- nothing to worry about.

I find antiviruses to be the biggest pain. Bloated, not too helpful, and they often give false positives (making MSE the ideal AV for me when I used to use one.) They provide very little security benefit to me but they take up more resources than Comodo.

I also don't bother with browser add-ons. Too annoying and they can slow down browsing.

And I don't bother with disk imaging, just system restore but that's only for when I mess things up myself.

20. Hungry Man

This is often how I feel, which is why I don't bother with anything that would be a pain for me or that would hog resources. Security is just so... easy.

21. ichito

ichito Registered Member

* sandboxes
    * software restriction policies, applocker, uac, etc

:doubt:

22. Hungry Man

Really? I find UAC so easy to deal with. Same with Sandboxing - though the initial setup can be a pain depending on which program you're using.

23. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

LUA, SRP, and UAC which I find more noisy than KIS' HIPS while not giving as much control over applications. Scanning periodically with on-demand scanners is useless unless one is infected (and all their drivers etc. make me feel my system bloated).

Which strategies are easy depend on the user. For me it's HIPS and Sandboxes combined with an AV, but for most people I recommend different things.

24. guest

guest Guest

All of them, the only one I'm tolerating atm is "on demand scanning with 3rd party apps".

25. Hungry Man

I hate on-demand scanning, ugh.

You can never be sure that you reaaaaaallly got everything that was on your system/ that you're not still infected.

Plus it takes forever just for one scan let alone all of the scans necessary for me to feel safe (if I'm running with no other security software) and all that time you'll see huge cpu usage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.