Security Software Usage question for All

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Capp, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

I agree that folks at Wilders tend to go a bit overboard with security apps at times, but after all it's a SECURITY forum! :rolleyes:

Being behind a NAT/firewall router, my resident tray apps are presently whittled down to the following, which have little or no noticeable effect on performance and which I feel quite safe with:

Sygate PF
    GData AVK Pro (KAV + BitDefender)
    Giant AS, real-time protect enabled
    WinPatrol
    SnoopFree Privacy Shield

Could probably eliminate WinPatrol since it is mostly redundant to the resident protection of Giant, but I find the interface useful. I also can activate Ewido guard, TDS-3 exec prot, or both if feeling especially paranoid, but don't normally run them resident since doing so along with my present AV does produce a noticeable hit to performance.

Also use the passive resident protection of Spywareblaster and SpyBot S&D (but not teatimer). IE6 w/SP2 is tightened, but I use K-Meleon and Avant Browser which provide additional hardening thru ad blocking, popup blocking, convenient controls for java, flash, cleaning, etc.

I do regular scanning also, and with all the free malware scanners too, but seldom find anything other than a cookie now and then.

Yes, I could add more guards & system monitors & play with new firewalls & most likely will - but for now anyway, the current setup works for me! :cool:

2. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

My security apps are in my signature. I tried a lot of anti-trojan, anti-spyware, sandboxes, firewalls, and so on. I found out that I do not really need that many layers of protection on my computer at all, although they do give me good feelings. A lot of people here at Wilders are just too paranoid about computer security :)

3. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Too paranoid? These days there is no such thing.

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I dont go overboard, I have the luxury of running PG + Firewall only. Nothing else at all... PC sure is fast :)

At a minimum I recommed change of browser, PG, Firewall, good AV, plus trojan scanner, adware scanner. Lots of really nice free blocking type things (hey we have some here on the forum!) and you are up to 5.. 6.. things ? Not really paranoid, just sensible

5. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

Evening all.
    This topic addresses something I have been thinking about for a while, and the posts on this thread have provided considerable insight for me. I think that a users perception of threat and defence changes with experience and understanding. A recent thread asking why people had come to Wilders in the first place also gives some clues.
    Put yourself in the position of Joe (or jane) Normal, browsing away with a system on the setings it came out of the box with. They get clobbered with some nasty or other and come looking for help. It is only natural that they will want every tool, defence, protection available to them, so they install everything but the kitchen sink. Ok they are safer now, cool, but have lots of stuff in a multi - multi -layered defence. As they learn more about the malware problem, they realise that a lot of their installation is redundant, so a period of culling takes place ( thats where I am at the moment), and more informed decisions as to defence are taken, hence more structured use of applications, tailored to the individuals browsing habits.
    I think that I am not unique here in realising that the biggest security hole in any set up, is an uninformed user, and that the first line of effective defence is to understand where you are exposed. The type and number of defences subsequently employed will be driven by the users development as outlined above.

I dont think that there is a "best" set of apps, it is more important to use what gives you comfort and confidence, and that will change as you learn more.

ttfn

Jock

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Very well put, Jock, I agree 100% :)

I think the same goes for just about any kind of software, really. I at one point had a multitude of multimedia and internet apps on my machine, which I've thinned down over time to a small set of apps that do just what I want them to do. This is pretty much normal, you've gotta try out different apps to learn what each can, and cannot, do for you. To just pick one and buy it without checking your other options doesn't seem very smart to me... unless you've got plenty of money to burn.

I've always found it disconcerting when I go to another forum and see someone just starting out trying to ask questions only to be branded as paranoid. Hopefully most of those folks find their way here where they can discuss these things with SOME level of sanity :D

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Just a thought about the anti-spyware tools. I think all of us at Wilders have almost a sentimental attachment to AdAware and Spybot that keeps us recommending these programs on a first-tier level - even though a lot of the studies and testing of late have told us otherwise. These two were here, helping us protect our PCs long before anything else - and all for free. However, as hard as it is to do, I have moved on and have started recommending Spy Sweeper, MS Anti-Spyware or Counter Strike. I have bumped AdAware and SpyBot down to safety net programs only. Their detections have fallen way behind. In their defense, they don't have the money of a Microsoft or Webroot to ferret this stuff out. But no matter the reason, they have moved far ahead of AdAware and SpyBot and I have stopped recommending these last two them as first-tier products. That's hard to say, as my heart is with these programs, but my head tells me to evaluate the studies and act accordingly.

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Agreed ! However , Spy Sweeper has a leakage problem that Webroot refuses to fix . Dumped it awhile back . Their support , I have found , is lacking as well .

9. shek

shek Guest

a good surfing habit and the common sense of computer security are more important than the security softwares.

the security softwares I use:
    real-time---Antivir PE, Jetico firewall, Process Guard (free version), MJ Registry Watcher, script defender

backup scanner--- escan toolkit, spybot S&D, ewido (free version)

All of them are free and I would not choose any paid version, if there is a good alternative.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Yes, but whose common sense?

11. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

true, but as long as they are free they will be recommended as not everyone has the ability to spend 150/200 € each year on security programs...

that is one of the main reasons it is recommended by all boards around the world, not only here :cool:

just a thought

12. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I like to surf lite also. At present I have only a firewall / process guard / Benign / safe n sec / spywareblaster.
    All loaded up this weekend on a clean system.

13. memory dude

memory dude Guest

SolarPowered Candle:

What do you think of safe 'n sec? I visited their website and was thoroughly unimpressed with the presentation. It may be a great program, but I HATE developer sites that do not show you the interface through screenshots. What's your take?

14. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

It appears to be quite new (safensec) They are I feel, in a learning curve themselves with this. However the support is excellent and I believe that they will evolve their site and presentation into something more accessible and with a little more info etc. I guess they have presented the product and left it as that . You are right though memory dude , there is a lack of knowledge presented on the workings of their product as blue and SDS have been discussing here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=71065&page=5&pp=25

What do I think of SafenSec ? Think its the next best thing since Process guard.

15. tophat

tophat Guest

I like Prevx free over Safe n Sec, because Prevx has a free version which Safe n Sec really should have at least at this time. Who wants to pay for buggy beta software? Not me. I'm waiting for the new version of Prevx, it should be better, and still has a free version available.

16. twig

twig Guest

Alot of software has teething issues when it first arrives on the scene . I like prevx and think it is a good service they provide in giving a free home edition. I have the pro version of prevx, but have taken it off my system and will await the new version that is due in the next few weeks. It too has a few issues for me . It would truely be nice if SnS offered a free version , however it would be limited most likely such as process guard free. I am running with SnS and are having no issues , although one or two have . I think we must run with what works for each of us and the systems we have. If we make a boob we can always change and improve our choices. We are fortunate that we do have choices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.