Security software and remote desktop

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by the_desert, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_desert

the_desert Registered Member

Hi,

I need advice on security software and also remote desktop in combination with the security software.

The software is for my parents' Windows XP computer. They are not very comfortable with computers so the security software needs to check e-mail attachments and downloaded files automatically. Basically, the security software should just run in the background with as little user interaction as possible, and when user interaction is necessary, it should be simple to use. They use very few applications, probably just Microsoft Word, Outlook, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Skype.

I also need to be able to help them from time to time by using some remote desktop application. The needs are:
    • They should see on their screen what I do.
    • I shouldn't be able to control their computer unless they accept it (or initiate it, like starting a VNC server).
    • It should be very simple for them, such as just clicking an icon. If possible, they shouldn't even need to give me their IP address (I don't know how that is normally solved, but maybe by automatically e-mailing me the IP address).

So, here are the questions:

1. Today they use ESET Smart Security. It's not very expensive and it seems to work very well with few user interactions. Would you say the protection of ESET Smart Security suits their needs? (Note: I'm not trying to start a very long discussion about this. If you believe some other security software is just "slightly better" and you still believe ESET Smart Security is "good enough for their needs", I will probably just stick with ESET.)

2. How can I simplify the remote desktop procedure? (Note that I use Ubuntu and they use Windows XP, so it can't be a Windows-only solution). Today I guide them to temporarily disable the firewall, find their IP address and launch the remote desktop server (TightVNC). Please don't laugh (but smile if you want), but this procedure takes 10 minutes. Just explaining how to minimize windows in order to see the desktop and click the Firefox icon takes a while.

Thanks in advance!

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I think the best Windows security suite for non-technical users is Norton Internet Security 2009. It is virtually silent by default and can be made even quieter by automating threat removal. Sorry, but I haven't used ESET so I can't make a comparison.

Regarding remote control software, the simplest solution I've found is Crossloop. It does exactly what you want, but unfortunately it is only for Windows. Have you considered dual-booting?

4. the_desert

the_desert Registered Member

MrBrian and Victek123, thanks a lot for your answers!

I got CrossLoop working under Ubuntu using Wine, and it works perfectly. (I didn't get the newest version working, v. 2.41, but I got v. 2.30 working. Also, I've only tested using it as a client on Ubuntu, not as a server. But that's all I need.)

So, question 2 in this thread is solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.