Security software and gaming?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Ledsr40, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ledsr40

Ledsr40 Registered Member

If I have nod and outpost on how much does it impact gaming performance? I use the E6600 at 3.2ghz with 2 gb of 800mhz ram.

Is it safe to turn it off for offline singleplayer gaming?

Thanks.

2. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I have ZA and NOD32 and I keep them running while gaming. You wont gain or loose anything with them running.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Generally no but you'd better leave it enabled . Should you have problems , add the folder where your game files are located to the EAV's exclusions list . How to here

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Shouldn't be a problem with NOD32 2.xx - I'm not so sure about V3 though.

5. Ledsr40

Done.
    Game folders are unlikely to be infected right?

Also, why do I need the firewall on when gaming offline?

Why do I need email and web protection when gaming offline?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Why do you have to "play a game" to disable/enable protections all the time . Firewall is a must nowadays , you need to have it enabled all the time unless you want a hacker visitation

7. Ledsr40

What about playing offline?

I mean to disable them while gaming, not all the time.

Is it necessary to use the antispyware of nod AND outpost? Can I just use which one is lighter?

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

NOD32 shouldnt cause much slowdown. Outpost may affect pings (online gaming) but I havent tried it recently.

As for antispyware, Id the disable the one in Outpost. NOD32 is light anyways.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  9. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I play BF2 and BF2142 on line often, have since they came out, I run a router no firewall and I turn off Avira while playing on line, I have never had a problem with malware from gaming with that configuration. IMHO security software does have a negative impact on games played on line, some worse than others. I have had problems with various firewalls and AVs while gaming on line which is why I take a minimalist approach. I use FDISR so I can roll back if I need to.

10. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

i also play BF2 and others online with NOD32 w/ max settings, DI-650 router and windows XP firewall with similar 3.2 GHz setup. no slowdown at all

11. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Just game already. I am a heaby gamer and I never turn my security off. I play WOW,COD4,COD2,HL2,TF2,BF2,BF2142,Halo,Timeshift,Q4,NFSMW,C&C3,COH.

12. a_lunatic

a_lunatic Registered Member

Just make sure its not selected as a web browser as 1 game I play was automatically selected as a web browser since the new update & was going through the ekrn.exe proxy & could notice the online game browser loading so slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.