Security software alone not enough to beat Internet threats, says CA

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ThunderZ, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Security software alone not enough to beat Internet threats, says CA
    Wolfgang Gruener
    January 19, 2007 15:31

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/19/security_threat/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Typical corporate mantras .... Windows Vista .... security .... anti-virus .... botnet .... hackers .... spam .... phishing .... social engineering ..... security .... experts say .... Windows Vista .... security ..... anti-virus ....

I have a better one: use your bloody brain or don't buy computer .... open-source .... Linux .... use your brains .... don't buy computer .... Linux ....

Mrk

3. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Ya don't think the mis-application of brains are part of the problem then Mrk ? Some folks will always try to outsmart their OS & out manouvre their software to get what they want......

....even a linux based machine isn't above benefiting from what's termed the application of best practice.

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Definitely so. But reading about Windows Vista in every article makes my blood pressure go up. And of course, if you make the bold step of trying Linux and actually doing something for yourself - you have made a quantum leap in brains. Someone using Linux is not very likely to use IE and get himself infected every Wednesday ...
    Mrk

5. minnow

minnow Registered Member

i'll finish reading yur page soon
    Ive ben OFFLINE for 2 days o_O maybe Ive dwnlded + removed too many AV-AS reg scanners --2 weeks ago Ive tried TrendMicro -AVG -PCTools AV+RegMech + other AVs then
    uninstalled them + MicWorks 7 + Adobe 7 to save RAM even tried System Restore it'd NOT go back more than 1 day -
    now Ive only got Sygate Firewall -SuperAntiSpyware -AdAware

+ resetting Prog Acc+Defaults to IE turned my DSL back on - or maybe it was Int Options-
    Connections -LAN -Auto Detect - that did it =

= now DSL stays ON + YIM stays OFF or maybe jus the opposite
    or maybe both look to be ON + cannot disply a page

so is Pest Patrol better than PC Doc Pro ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I recall the last time I tested Pest Patrol, it was full of false positives.
    Never heard of Doc Pro.
    Either way, I don't think they are needed to keep one's machine secure.
    Mrk

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Why doesn't that news surprise me? :isay:

One thing that i've discovered over these computer years which can prove just as bad as malware and sometimes worse, is commercial programs & (Chiefly AV's) i'm referring to in this instance, which absolutely make a mockery of your good system after you have stablize it from itself (m$) :D to begin with.

Yeah, software can even leave behind a big mess even after you uninstall it.

8. minnow

minnow Registered Member

looks like Ive gotta lotta reading to do :eek: Ive ben online ALL night + ASAI did renew my ISP like Joe said - http://www.masterjoe.org - it went offline again - so I brot up SuperAntiSpyware to hit upgrade link + it slowly got back online = can my Registry hav errors + need fixin by PC Doc Pro = now called Win Doc ?
    dont know wher I found Kay Brenner's info newsletter at
    2 years ago here IF ya wanna look

Scan your computer with PC Doc Pro

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

While I fully agree with the title of this thread, it is important to note that the vast majority of users completely know nuts about this. That is, simply not well-informed of all this.

Now, a question, why are there still so many security threats when we have so many protection tools available? Simply because. Blame it all on human activity. Just like climate change. Most people will do their security or other computing work just to earn a living.

Seriously, having uneducated computer users asking me questions about all sorts of computer issues makes my blood boil at times, only cases where the user is unable to absorb all the bloody information after many explanations. It can be so frustrating to the point where I can just ignore them.

Categories:
    Mr expert guy.
    Mr Ctrl-Ait-Del guy.

10. minnow

minnow Registered Member

Ive shur noticed that :eek: so Ive deleted left over files from searching program files list +
    now it's clean enuff by using Ad-Aware - Ccleaner + Reg cure with Sygate firewall

Ive still gotta try Linux

11. Renegade182

Renegade182 Registered Member

That's good info. Thanks for sharing. It's true - botnets are increasing, and the next gen hackers are smarter than antivirus/spyware mfgs. One of my clients had a site taken down by a botnet....bad news.

12. minnow

minnow Registered Member

the phone wire here at my new house was layed on top of street - getting cut + twisted -
    now its replaced with new wire + buried = NO more offline crap = DSL is always ON

do you know if Reg Supreme is better than Reg Cure ?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.