Security Setup

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Sunnysdsr, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunnysdsr

Sunnysdsr Registered Member

Please tell me if I at least have the barebones of a decent security setup. Here's my rig: Windows XP SP2 fully updated, ZA Pro fully updated, Firefox (with NoScript, and Adblock), RegScrubXP, full image backup of hard-drive with Acronis TI, ad-aware pro, Ewido free (scans every week), Peerguardian 2 (for p2p), Ad -watch SE Professional, along with NOD32 fully updated, and Cryptosuite for private files, Spyware Blaster (updated daily), and Sysinternals Rootkit Revealer.

2. HJam72

HJam72 Registered Member

Now you just need one more and that dirty old internet will never connect to your PC again. :D

I don't even know what some of those are, so I'm not gonna be any help.

3. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

barebones IMO would be a 1. Firewall and 2. AV. You have more than that

with zonealarm pro and Nod32 your in good hands. Firefox with no script is a big plus :thumb:

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sunnysdsr,
    Don't forget the spam-emails and attachments with possible threats.

5. Sunnysdsr

Sunnysdsr Registered Member

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. Erik what e-mail client would you suggest for good spam filtering and a built in scanner? or a proggy that does this for me?

6. ErikAlbert

You have Mozilla Firefox, why not Mozilla Thunderbird also, which is faster and safer than MS Outlook 200x/Express.
    Thunderbird has also a built-in anti-spam function, which is good enough for me, but not every member likes it.
    Try it for a week and see if it is good enough for you too.
    You can keep MS Outlook, just don't use it anymore.
    And don't believe all these spam-emails : if it's spam, it's scam.

If you don't like the anti-spam of Thunderbird, here is a list of compatible anti-spam softwares for Thunderbird :
    http://keir.net/k9.html
    http://www.spampal.org/
    http://www.spamihilator.com/
    http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.firetrust.com/

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

and Processguard, SSM, GSS, o_O

those are quite important as well !! but for starters, you should be well covered .. once you get the hand on all of that you've listed, try to protect your processes and registry .. basic area's that are used by malware anyhow .. and anyway ..

but for now you are good I guess too ..

8. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

I am buying a laptop computer in a week and have been slowly collecting various security programs from sites over the internet. They are all freeware and I was wondering if I would be safe enough with these: ZoneAlarm Firewall (free version), AVG Free, Spyware Terminator (with clamav realtime shield add-on), Ad-Aware Se Personal, Spybot S&D, Firefox with adblock, Thunderbird, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, CCleaner, ClamWin Antivirus, BlackICE, Keepass, and Vcom System Suite 5.0 (Not free). I am very paranoid. As you can see.:D

9. ErikAlbert

You can also use trial versions of AntiVirus as a temporary good protection.
    I'm trialing NOD32 at this moment, if the trial period ends, I trial another advanced+ AntiVirus, etc. etc. etc.

10. A1SteakSauce

I have tried out Nod32 and it is my favorite anti-virus program I've ever used, but until I'm 18 I think I'll stick to freeware...:D EDIT: Will reinstall the trial version each month.:D Not sure if that is legal..... Tell me if it's not.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  11. ErikAlbert

I don't think you can install NOD32 again after the trial period is over.
    NOD32 has a hidden trick to remember that you already installed it. Most trial versions of any software have such a hidden trick.
    It's illegal when you try to break this hidden trick.

When the very first trial period is finished you can do two things :
    1. If you like NOD32, you can buy it.
    2. If you don't like NOD32 or can't buy it, you uninstall NOD32 and look for a trial version of ANOTHER AntiVirus software.
    Nobody can blame you to try every existing commercial AntiVirus software and it's also a very good idea to do this in the beginning in order to find the right AntiVirus software for yourself. :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  12. A1SteakSauce

Thanks. I guess I will have to try every antivirus and then beg to buy it.:D Or I'll see where NOD32 sells on CD (if it does). My dad just doesn't like buying things off the internet.

13. ErikAlbert

I understand your dad very well. Buying and using your credit card on the internet isn't always safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.