Security Screen Blank

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by WilliamP, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have been in the learning mode and doing great. Then I decided it was time to turn off learning mode. I did a system backup then noticed PG was popping up on everything. When I checked the Security screen was blank. Now I will start over. And I was so happy! :mad:

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi William, First report of that sort, though there have been other reports of the checksumming not working.
    I am using the latest private beta ATM and all the previously reported errors have now been addressed.
    Do you have CFTmon.exe on your pc? As this can cause issues with the public beta.

Pilli

3. WilliamP

Well Pilli it has really messed up. I was trying to reload the security window by putting it the learning mode and clicking on everything . I noticed that for it to show on the screen I had to hit the refresh button. So I tried a reboot. Now it won't even start up.

4. WilliamP

I just did an uninstall. Before re-downloadind what do I need to check for? Yes I have ctfmon.exe but I have it shut off. It does try to run .How should I deal with it?

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

The easiest way is to Start - Run - Type msconfig and press return.
    In start up you will see that cftmon is enabled, uncheck it.
    When you start any office application it will try to start again unfortunately. I suppose there might be a way of stopping this occurring but have not found it yet.

Make sure that you delete your old pghash.dat & pguard.dat files before re-running PG.

HTH Pilli

6. WilliamP

Help!!! How do I get rid of procguard.dll. I can't load because it is still there. I have tried Kill Box twice but it won't do it. I know I have to go into safe mode but I'm not familiar with it. I have XP Home Edition. I want my PG back.

7. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Hi WilliamP

I obviously don't know if Ctfmon.exe is the cause of your problems with PG but Pilli suggests from his experience that it may be (and he knows a lot more than me about it.)

About 6 months ago I uninstalled Office 2000 and installed Office XP. Ctfmon thereupon became a real royal PITA, appearing in Task Manager, floating around in the background where I didn't want it.

Microsoft have a Knowledge Base Article about it. If you want to stop Ctfmon and thus rule it in or out as a possible problem with your PG3, visit Microsoft (or Google for) Knowledge Base Article 282599, entitled "What is CTFMON and What Does It Do?

You should be able to sort out from that what applies to your particular set-up and stop it in its tracks. If I remember rightly, msconfig is not the way to go. For the life of me, I can't remember what I did (I certainly have it stopped from running by Spybot) - but can't remember what else.... ageing brain!!

Ctfmon is still on my PC, but quiet, haven't thought about it for months until I saw Pilli's post.

HTH

8. WilliamP

I don't think that it was the problem. I think I know what, but not why. But now it looks like I can't even get into safe mode to get rid of procguard.dll.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. WilliamP

Ron, I have tried both methods and so far no luck. Thank you. I will try again.

11. WilliamP

Ron, I managed to get into Safe Mode but I don't know what to do after that. How do I get where I need to. Help please.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you trying to delete or rename files? Do a search for the files you want to rename or delete.

You could rename the files .old and they will still be there should you need them.

procguard.dll.old

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282599

13. WilliamP

It won't let you rename procguard.dll.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Would reinstalling the program in the safe mode help you?

15. WilliamP

I managed to get into safe mod and delete procguard.dll. I tried to load the Beta and I get the attached message . I have double checked and everything is gone. [ pghash.dat,pguard.dat and procguard.dll.

Attached Files:

16. WilliamP

I have cleared System Restore ,rechecked to make sure everything is gone and still I get the same message.

17. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi William, Sounds like your original unisnatall was bad as pgaurd.dll was not properly unloaded :( Proces Guard must be disabled in it's main menu before running it's uninstall.

You need to visit the registry and do the following:

Start - Run - Type regedit press return.
    Using the Find menu item type procguard then F3 delete each entry that you find two will nbe "Legacy" settings when you get these right click it and select permissions then select Allow then apply then right click and select delete.
    To completely clear the registry you can also search on each of these seperately - pcaccount and Process Guard

You should then try a clean install

HTH Pilli

18. WilliamP

Under Diamonds Computer Systems found Process Guard and the Beta do I delete them?

Attached Files:

19. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Just delete the keys basesd on the searches above Process Guard does no use a DiamondCS registry key As far as I know.
    Working in the regisitry can be dangerous so only delete the specific procguard keys for now to be on the safe side.

Thanks Pilli

20. WilliamP

I did the Find and found Legacy procguard and when I right clicked and then permissions I didn't get the option to allow.

Attached Files:

21. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Click the "full control" box this will Allow deletion once applied.
    You can delete both keys Process Guard keys shown in the first screen shot :)

22. WilliamP

Did that also searched pcaccount ,didn't find anything. Did find Process Guard but couldn't delete this.

Attached Files:

23. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you look in the folder list you will see something like DCSsvc which is shown as open when you have the key displayed as in your screenshot, this folder like the leagacy foldrs can be deleted by right clicking it and changing the permission to allow, apply, then delete, their are two of these folders :)

HTH Pilli

24. WilliamP

Pilli I do appreciate your help.

25. WilliamP

Pilli ,I have no idea what I just did but I did it. I did regdit and did a find for DCSsvc and found this shown in attachment. Procguard.dll, pghash.dat,and pguard.dat. Ideleted them all.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.