Security requirements on my computer

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by noel1947, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noel1947

noel1947 Registered Member

Hi

I am attempting to re-evaluate the security applications on my computer.

Present configuration:
    1. Avira AntiVir Premium - license expires 01/01/2010
    2. Look n Stop firewall - licensed and used for approx 5 years
    3. Spywareblaster
    4. Malwarebytes - full license

All programs current versions and definitions up to date.

I have attempted to use Threatfire but conflicts with, I assume Avira, causing computer to lock up and requiring manual shutdown.

I am currently assessing Prevx Edge and Mamutu.

I suppose the question I am posing is, which combination of above mentioned software or any additions would provide optimum security on my computer.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

noel1947

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I suggest adding a sandbox, such as Sandboxie, DefenceWall or GesWall. Also the Secunia Software Inspector for updating or applications.

Do you have an image backup and file backup program? What browser do you use?

3. noel1947

I ghost system approx 2 times per week to a removable HD after extensive house cleaning of my system. Slightly paranoid !!!
    Use Firefox exclusively.

noel1947

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I assume that as you've paid for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you have the real-time protection enabled. If so, are you sure that it is AntiVir alone that is causing the conflict with ThreatFire and not the combination of AntiVir and MBAM?

I've used both NOD32 and AntiVir Premium (at different times) alongside ThreatFire without any conflicts, and I believe the same is true for a number of other people who post at Wilders. Not to say that AntiVir is not the cause of the conflict in your case of course, but it's just a thought. As it appears that you already have two security programs running in real-time there is always going to be an increased potential for conflict by adding a third.

Either Prevx Edge or Mamutu would be a fine addition to your security setup. You will need to try both to which works better on your machine and also which you prefer. If you are going to add a behaviour blocker, I would be inclined to disable MBAM's real-time protection and use it only as an on-demand scanner. I doubt whether MBAM is going to add much extra real-time protection and the risk of conflicts increases.

I am currently using all of the following with no problems, conflicts or slowdowns: PC Tools Firewall Plus, ThreatFire, Prevx Edge, AntiVir Personal, and Returnil. I also use Sandboxie for web browsing and MBAM (free version) on demand as a backup scanner.

5. noel1947

pegr

Avira AntiVir Premium conflict was an assumption and didn't give MBAM a thought especially with real time conflicts. Will keep your comments in mind when assessing anymore recommendations I receive.

Thanks for your advice/assistance.

noel1947

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.