Security question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mike6080919395, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike6080919395

Mike6080919395 Registered Member

I have a question concerning my security setup.

I am not looking for maximium protection
    I had NOD32 and Comodo installed on windows 7 and lets just say everyday the connection kept taking longer to respond when visiting websites.

When I removed nod32 and comodo my web pages now load super fast. Around christmas holidays my nod32 license was at 14 days. What I noticed is the closer the expiration got the more slowdowns and lockups I would experience. I could be wrong, but it sure seemed like it!

What I want to know is how secure is this for a basic user?
    Windows 7 firewall Domain, Private, Public
    (Block all outbound except firefox and free download manager)
    The only two programs I need really :)

Wi-Fi with WPA-2 PSK Random dynamic changing encryption scheme.
    7 bar strong encryption passphrase.

The only other programs I really use are Sony Vegas 9 Pro, Visual Studio C++, and Steam for games (These have no need for internet access)

Since I am not going to dish out money for another nod32 license. What free av do you all suggest? Over the years I have put so much down on KIS, Nod32, A-Squared, Trojan Hunter, CC Cleaner, BoClean, Lavasoft Anit-Spy, Comodo Secure Connect, NOD32, Trend Micro IS, TDS, and Regsoft Reg Cleaner, and the list goes on.

While I do like NOD32 and I always used blackspears settings.xml I could not believe how much faster pages loaded once I uninstalled comodo and nod32 on windows 7 64-bit.

Back when I used to use a linksys 802.11b router. I noticed that anytime I setup the firewall other than defaults my connection got slower. Loading and viewing pretty much anything. For this reason I avoided routers until I went with DSL.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Microsoft Security Essentials, it's free, it's VERY good, it's nag free, and it's a little lighter than NOD32 v4 on your system.

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Comodo internet security and avira personal or avast free. All free and all good.

4. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Yep, I love it.

Avira is also a good choice -- try both out (of course not at the same time) and let us know.

5. Wan

Wan Guest

Agree :)

6. Mike6080919395

Mike6080919395 Registered Member

Just wanted to drop back by after using the suggested av a few days.

I have been using the suggested microsoft security essentials and I must say that it is great. Its light on resources and very fast and it doesn't hold back your net connection speed like nod32 would. I was a little weary about using a microsoft av, because well 2-3 days after microsoft releases an os hackers found a way thru the new and improved 64 bit kernel on windows 7. From this perspective how safe could a microsoft av be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.