Security program reccomendations?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kegel, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

I am currently running WIndows XP SP2. I have a cable connection. My security programs/hardware consist of the following:

AdAware SE Plus (AdWatch runs all the time)
    McAfee VirusScan (always on)
    BoClean (always on)
    Process Guard (always on)
    SpywareBlaster
    Spybot S&D
    MRU Blaster (runs at startup and then shuts down)
    TDS3 (on demand scanner only)
    Port Explorer
    Windows XP Firewall (on)
    Linksys firewall router (hardware firewall)

Since Ive gone this far, I was wondering if anything else could be reccomended? Would an anti-keylogger benefit this setup or am I covered?

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Kegel,

I think you look pretty good. If you want to add some additional spyware protection, you may want to consider either SpySweeper or Giant Anti-spyware. Both have trial versions. For anti-keylogger, I found Anti-Keylogger pretty good. I couldn't find any really good reviews on Keylogger Killer or Privacy Shield Snoopfree so I don' t know if you want to try either of these out. Both seem comparable and much less expensive than Anti-Keylogger.

To tell the truth, I had very similar products as you have on my machine, and just yesterday a virus got through and put me out of business. Luckily, my local computer shop was able to recover most of my important files.

I knew something was wrong on my machine and I scanned using NAV, McAfee online, Kaspersky 4.5, TDS-3, Ewido, Giant, TrojanHunter, Ad-aware, Spybot, and I had Process Guard, Wormguard, and Regprot. And the little sucker still got through. I went through all of the advice given to me on this forum and others. The virus was there, but I just couldn't track it down. It was lurking somewhere. It could run and it could hide. :doubt:

It's really tough nowawdays. I guess I am even going to have to pull back more on my surfing habits. The bad guys seem to be always one step ahead of the good guys. :oops:

As is often advised on this forum, commonsense and safe surfing is the best protection ... but even this is no guarantee.

Rich

3. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

HI, the only weakness I can see is you don't have a stand alone firewall, the SP2 firewall only protects from incoming threats and is not too good at it.

Zona alarm pro is the best stand alone firewall, the current beta ver 5.5.035.000 is the best release and fully compatable with SP2 and Mcafee.

As for the rest I think your covered, actually a bit over kill if U ask me, I use ZAP, Nod32, AdawareSE[free] and Spybot 1.3.1

1 AV
    1 Firewall
    2 Spyware scanners [ only have Spybot for the immunize function

ZAP beta download link;

]http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta#download

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  4. chico

chico Guest

Hi folks, one more very powerful program: BRAIN 1.0 - the best thing is to execute it before your machines are started. >safer-surfing< :)
    If worst case happens, no matter if you have hundreds of background scanners and resident protection running, you're ...... (See MS patches from yesterday)
    It's also a good idea to use opera or firefox for browsing, (so you don't need to immunize stuff for the IE). If there are to many progs. running in the background at the same time, they can't focus on doing their job because they have to deal with each other.
    Tds3, PG and WG - a good AV (you have to pay for it as for the diamondcs stuff, don't use the free versions and don't use symantec (Norton) stuff for home users) a small, tiny software firewall like Sygate or Kerio to control which prog. tries to access the internet and a hardware firewall to block everything unwanted from the net, that's all you need.
    Keep you're fingers and eyes away from the illegal stuff on the net and nothing will happen. If you can't resist to dive in the dark corners, start working with an image of a clean, fully patched and restricted OS and restore it every day. (So there's no need to install progs that clean mru lists and stuff like that). If you get infected during the day (or night) use the clean image.
    greets chico

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Kegel, and welcome to Wilders.

Since your request is for recommendations of other security programs, and not related to a specific TDS support issue, I've moved your thread from the TDS forum and into the Software & Services forum.

Here is another thread that you might find helpful:
    Am I Secure Enough...

Regards,

snap

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I think u have a very good setup kegel, but like ppl said, u need to turn off the winxp firewall and get sygate, kerio, or zap for a good firewall. u should also consider protowall or peerguardian for ip filtering. prevx, pcinternet patrol, and panda truprevent are some other interesting security programs u should try.

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Need more? Enter SmoothWall! (courtesy, luv2bsecure) :cool:

GF

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.