Security Permissions Survive Image Restore?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by estervantes, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. estervantes

estervantes Registered Member

Yesterday, using Windows 7, 32 I played around with Windows security permissions for my D and E partitions by restricting access to my Limited User Account. In doing so I managed to screw things up badly and ended up not being able to access these two storage drives. Strangely, even after I configured the drive to allow total access to all users and for all folders and files in these drives and reading that the set permissions would apply to all subdirectories and files within folders, I was still unable to access the folders and files within the drives. Anyway, unable to return my system to its previous, functioning state by re-configuring the permissions facility, I decided it would be better simply to restore a recent, unaffected back up using Shadow Protect, BUT after restoring a previous, working and unaffected image, the permission restrictions still applied!

This seems very strange to me as it indicates that windows configuration changes to security permissions survive an image restore of the primary drive and that these permissions are NOT located on the primary drive, the drive that was restored, but somewhere and somehow on the affected secondary partitions of the same hard disc.

How is this possible?

It also seems to indicate that an image restore is not the panacea for windows screw ups as I presumed. Also, it might be the case that even a total reinstall of Windows would still leave the permissions limitations in place.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.