Security issues in opera

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ziggyzaggy, May 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziggyzaggy

ziggyzaggy Guest

I went to this page on the secunia website to see what the vulnerability was:

http://secunia.com/internet_explorer_command_execution_vulnerability_test/

I did this in Opera browser and NOD32's AMON scanner came up saying it was 'VBS/Exploit.Phel.D trojan' in a file, in opera's cache folder i think.

However when i went to that page in internet explorer NOD32's internet monitor came up terminating the connection and then AMON asked to delete a file in internet explorers cache.

Does the internet monitor just check data sent down the internet connection like scanning a file or does it check the actual script and code on pages as well? How come NOD32's internet monitor didn't catch it in opera? And would the script have been run in opera or does it not support VBS. I have heard opera is the most secire browser to use, however i guess that wouldn't matter if you downloaded a virus file off the internet and ran it. How is opera so secure, i know it doesn't like activeX. Does it use java script cos ive heard that is quite insecure.

I have been on some dodgy sites and NOD32 has claimed the files contain trojans and worms, but when i scan the opera cache again I find that NOD32 has not deleted them even though i clicked delete.

I think these trojans would be 'activated' when i clicked on the button to download a file. Are these trojans trying to get activated by an exploit or is clicking on the button on the webpage not an exploit? Would opera protect me from them if i clicked on the button?

Cheers for any help, im not sure if this should have been put in a NOD32 forum or an Opera forum, but the original question was about NOD32 so its being put here. :)

2. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Hi ZiggyZaggy,

while I cannot answer the Nod part of your question, here is the Opera answer:

from the Opera Forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.