security IE 11 vs IE 9 on Windows 7

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fly, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Since M$ will no longer provide updates for IE 9 as of now, a consideration is switching to IE 11.
    Although I don't use it much and I'm generally a 'safe' user, there is the general 'recommendation' to 'upgrade' to IE 11.

Even though IE 11 offers new features and maybe extra security features, doesn't it come with a larger code base and 'attack surface' ? Given the fact that the amount of security fixes for both IE and Flash have been extreme in 2015 I wonder if I'm not just fine sticking to IE 9. There may be privacy issues as well ?
    In my impression, the greater the code base the more vulnerabilities. Who knows how many 1000s of vulnerabilities there are in both IE and Flash.

Btw, I haven't written 'M$' for many years. But with their recent push for Windows 10, telemetry updates, ditching older browsers, not supporting Windows Updates in WIN 7 for future Intel chips (I don't know if I have an English language source for that) it is all too appropriate.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I guess it's possible but I don't know how we mere mortals who cannot analyze the code could figure it out. I take the view that it's best to go with the latest version of a browser because at least the known vulnerabilities have been addressed. Also, given how slow the release cycles are for IE I prefer to use alternatives, eg Firefox and Chrome.

3. itman

itman Registered Member

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

But isn't it true that ways to break through that extra protection are being found all the time ?

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Yes and no.

No software solution is 100% secure; that is a given. As far as Firefox, Chome, and IE on Windows platforms, IE has had the least vulnerabilities over its release lifetime: http://sensorstechforum.com/which-i...2015-firefox-chrome-internet-explorer-safari/ .

Pertaining to IE, each later release has been more secure than its predecessor. For maximum security, a browser regardless of manufacturer needs to be "tweaked" from its default settings.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes. Along with using the latest version of IE I suggest adding an anti-exploit application, such as HitmanPro.Alert or MalwareBytes AntiExploit.