Security help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ashy, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashy

Ashy Registered Member

Hi

I wasnt sure which bit to post this so if its wrong apologies in advance :)

Im after info on making WindowsXP Pro as secure as possible and how to create a very limited guest account.

The problem is my girlfriend has a PC ive built for her and her younger brother uses it when she isnt around, it then gets riddled with all sorts including a million pieces of spyware, homepack hijackers, stuff installed in the systray, toolbars in the browser window and im basically sick of having to clear it all out, some of which refuses to go.

So, is it possible for me to make an account that can only use say games, applications and nothing else. I want to exclude net access for the guest account as he just wont stop going on tons of filth etc (which is fine if you know what to not install! hehe)

Also, is it possible to stop him from saving stuff onto the machine or a drive, maybe by passwording it or something.

Its all a bit extreme but she has had enough and its putting her work files etc in jeapardy as you can imagine.

Ive had a look around for guides etc but couldnt find anything that fits exactly what we are after.

Thanks again, all help is really appreciated.

Ash

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome to Wilders!

I do believe you can create a pretty limited user account and pass-protect the others; but I've never used XP nor created more than one account on my PC... so I'll let someone else answer that forl you with more certainty. In the meantime, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard would alleviate the spyware installation to a good extent.

3. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:DDetox! check this if you wish.
    :)Yes you can give a very Limited Account to any user with XP pro. It must be XP pro though. Xp doesn't allow.
    Log in as Administrator, go to control panel, user accounts, and create LIMITED account for user.
    Make sure all other accounts esp. admin are passworded.
    This user will only be able to use software on the computer, will not have internet access, or be able to change anything else on the computer.
    Finally something I know about.
    Glad to be of service!
    Oh! and you can give that person(account) their own password.
    :DAlmost forgot, Hi ashy, hope this helps you, make sure you check with the Experts if you get stuck following my path, I've done this exact thing for two users of same attitude on one of my machines.

4. Ashy

Ashy Registered Member

That sounds exactly what im after chaps, thanks for the help :)

I'll post back and let you know how I get on

Ash

5. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Keep goin Val :) a cookie specially meant for you is on its way

6. projectX

projectX Registered Member

Here is a link to a site that can offer some detailed info on making your PC safer and help you get rid of all the unnecessary bloat that Windows likes to include in it's OS. This may be more than what you were looking for, but it's worth bookmarking for future referrence, IMO.

www.blackviper.com

Valkyri001's advice will certainly fix your problem; just thought I'd throw in a link to give a few tips about things in general. Good luck.

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

A cookie from me too, Valkyri :D

Be sure to let us know how it works out Ashy!

8. Ashy

Ashy Registered Member

think ive seen that viper site before, some useful stuff on there. thanks again fellas, im going to try it all out on sunday so ill let you know if windows becomes like a tank to all intruders :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.