Security Center is not in the services list

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by chris2004, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris2004

chris2004 Registered Member

Hi,

Couple days ago, I realized that I couldn't see Security Center icon in system tray, it used to work fine. I checked the detail from Control Panel, it shows 'Security Center currently is unavailable'. Then I thought maybe the Security Center service was stopped somehow, so I went to Services List and tried to restart the service. But I couldn't see this service from Services List.

My PC info:
    IBM T30, Windows XP Professional SP2
    Firewall: Kerio Personal Firewall 4
    AntiVirus: Symantec AntiVirus 10

Anybody can give a help.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Is it possible you have it controlled by your firewall? I know that the Nvidia Firewall has this option to completely disable it and let your software firewall (hardware firewall in Nvidia's case) control it.

in the 'limited' menu of the Security Center you can check/uncheck whether it notifies you if something is not right .. could it be you have unchecked all the notification options (3) ?

regards

3. chris2004

Thanks for your comments.

I only (always) have the Windows Firewall unchecked in Security Center.

The Security Center works fine with Kerio Personal firewall before. Actually, I also tried to uninstall Kerio Personal Firewall last night, then reboot the machine. The Security Center was still not in the services list :(

4. Infinity

I think this should do it..:) good luck

5. Ohio813

Ohio813 Registered Member

Yea, this is a useful thing to know, you join a domain and boom, no more security center (until you re-enable it as mentioned above).

6. Infinity

I don't even understand why this should be enabled anyway :) imho the security center is one of those unneeded background services @ 10 mb constantly, so I disabled it. my firewall and av are updated automaticaly and are protected from non authorized termination...

7. chris2004

Thank you guys.

I will try it tonight and let you know the results then :)

8. chris2004

Hi Infinity, I did the group policy setting as you suggested. It seems finally it didn't work. I still couldn't see the Security Center icon from system tray, couldn't see the Security Center service from Services list. But there is one progress, when the machine is starting-up, i can see the Security Center icon shown in system tray (yellow color) for once, then it disappeared, i don't know why:(

9. Infinity

Hi Chris2004 (welcome btw :)),

one possibility I'm thinking right now is to expand your systray so everything becomes visible .. probably you already tried this one ..

you will not see Security Center mentioned in your Process Explorer but you'll see multiple 'svchost.exe'

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

this is the one regarding the Security Center.
    this is about the notifier : C:\WINDOWS\System32\wscntfy.exe

keep us updated,

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  10. chris2004

You are right, there are about 6 svchost.exe found in Task Manager, one of it could be Security Center.

But the weird thing is I just couldn't see Security Center service from Services list. I also tried command MSCONFIG, the service is not listed there too.

It works fine weeks ago, I always have the same AntiVirus and firewall softwares, there are no any problems.

I also checked the file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\wscntfy.exe, the file icon looks different from others, it seems Windows didn't recognize this file.

11. Infinity

I'm @ Work now hehe but I believe with Process Explorer - from Sysinternals - you can view your processes more closely, in depth and with more details.
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

I believe you can see the attributes too of all processes. (rightclick - properties - probably :))

12. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi chris2004,

Are you still with us on the "No Security Center" bubble?

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.