Security and WiFi

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Escalader, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Here are some links from the ZA User forum that you all may find usefull:

COMMENTS WECOME!!

"Don't get burned by Wi-Fi's weak spots, Kim Komando, Cincinnati.com, September 23, 2006

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006609230354

Home Network Router Security Secrets, Andy Walker, InformIT, April 7, 2006

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=461084&rl=1

Hey neighbor, stop piggybacking my Wi-Fi, Michel Marriott, New York Times, Gadsden Times, March 5, 2006

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060305/ZNYT05/603050325/1011

Coffee Shop WiFi for dummies, Scott Grannernan, SecurityFocus, February 9, 2006

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/385?ref=rss

Wireless Tips: Your Wireless Network Needs a Security Update, Andrew Brandt, PC World, January 27, 2006

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,124170,00.asp

Blocking Wi-Fi moochers to protect yourself, Sarah Staples, CanWest News Service, Canada.com, January 20, 2006

http://www.canada.com/topics/technology/story.html?id=43d58a9b-3f5b-48f7-9350-52af3fef45ae&k=67900

Complete Guide to Wi-Fi Security, Tony Bradley & Becky Waring, JiWire, last update December 6, 2005

http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-security-introduction-overview.htm

10 ways to wireless security, Deb Shinder, TechRepublic, ZDNet UK, September 30, 2005

http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/communications/wireless/0,39020430,39223889,00.htm

Home net vendors aim to simplify security installs, Keith Shaw, Network World, August 22, 2005

http://www.networkworld.com/net.worker/columnists/2005/0822shaw.html

"One-Touch" Wireless Security -- Buffalo Technology's AOSS vs. Linksys' Secure Easy Setup, Humphrey Cheung & Tim Higgins, Small Net Builder, June 22, 2005

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Sections-article126.php

How To Crack WEP -- Part 3: Securing your WLAN, Humphrey Cheung, Small Net Builder, June 7, 2005

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Sections-article124.php"

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Many thanks for the links. Some are just what I have needed. Seems I have a "wanna be" war driver in the area tapping on my WPA protected network. He has`t gotten in but has been causing a problem with IP conflicts. Seems on or two of these articles may provide the cure. :thumb:

3. Escalader

Glad to help. All I did was post a post!

Let us know what you do to lock out this "war driver".

Have you got your own hardware firewall/router? They are hard to break into, if you set a strong pasword for the router!

Glad he can't crack through, but they are out there!

4. Escalader

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Very good research Escalader.
    With all these related links in one place, I'll refer to this thread in the future.
    Thank you.

6. ThunderZ

This is my current set up. copy and pasted from another board where I participate as well.
    Currently running a 3 PC (2 wired, 1 wireless) in home network. Sense this concerns "only" the wireless client I will stick to just that info. unless more is needed\requested. The wireless laptop uses a Linksys Wireless-G with WPA-TKIP enabled with a 63 mixed character key. This connects through a Linksys Wireless-G Access Point. With both their user names changed and a non-dictionary password. The AP is wired to a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 8 port switch with the 2 other wired clients. The switch is then hardwired to a Linksys-G Bridge. The bridge then sends and receives it`s connection via a Maxrad directional antenna over about 150'. At the reciving end is an identical Maxrad directional antenna, Linksys AP, then a 5 port Linksys switch with one cat5 going to the cable modem the others running to another Linksys 16 port switch then are run to the other PC`s (1 wireless as well) and printers on the network. This second group of PCs` is not experiencing the same problem. All IP`s are static. My 3 PC`s and the AP have DHCP disabled. On occasion I will receive the Windows warning on all 3 PCs` of an IP conflict on the network. At which time of course I lose connectivity to the "other side of the WAN (shared drives) as well as my Internet connection. This only happens on my 3 clients, not on the other side of the WAN. While trying to run down the problem I discovered an unsecured network\PC in the area operating on the same channel broadcasting its MAC address.However the signal strength showed as 0. No strange PCs showed up in My Networkplaces either. The problem can be eliminated by shutting down the AP and falling back on the wired NIC on my laptop. wwhhhhhheeeeewwww....... Hope that is enough info. Now for the question. Can this 0 signal strength unsecured network be the cause of the IP conflict on our secured network? Thanks for any and all input\info.\suggestions.
    Added;The foreign PC has disappeared and so has the IP conflict problem. Coincidence?

Also running ZA Pro on the two wired and Comodo on the lap top.

7. Escalader

Sorry, way over my job level!
    Hopefully, other members here will help with this question.
    I'm glad the stranger has disappeared but he may only be out shopping.

On signal stength you want enough to reach your client PC's but no more.
    The other point was to set it at a different frequency than you neighbours so as to avoid interference. As the further you broadcast the better for the baddies. With the long complex code you have I would think they can never break it in our lifetime.

Your cyber prowler may be attaracted by all the gear and big set up... I gather I could see it if I were to walk past you site(s)?

I also use ZA pro. It has a lot of power...

8. ThunderZ

LOL He still shows up every once in a while. Really not sure of malicious intent. They have MAC enabled and as normal is broadcasting their SSID. But for the last couple of days there have been no IP conflicts. He\she may not even be aware they are broadcasting.

Our signal strength is a bit "over kill". This was our first endeavor into the world of "longer range" wireless. Considering the distance, the fact we are shooting through several trees, and that we wanted reliability in all weather conditions is the reason for the set-up. We achieved all our goals. But with a slight security trade off it would seem. On the advice from the Company we purchased the external antennas from, we actually down graded our original set-up to these smaller, shorter range antennas.

Actually, the only visible equipment are the 2 Maxrad external antennas. They are less then a foot square and set just above single story roof level. Many people do not even notice them, even when walking right past\under them when coming to the house. I think only those who know about Wi-Fi would even know what they are. The only real give away is our signal\strength. You would have to be looking for it to find it.

Have looked into the logs ZA and saw no intrusion attempts. I am still learning Comodo as time permits. Though I have not received any pop-up warnings of unwanted incoming traffic.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

your first post link scared me a bit. i use WEP128bit encryption is this secure? because the first link says WEP isn't secure. but as far as i know WEP is the only encryption my Nintendo DS supports. but I would still like to know if its safe enough

lodore

10. ThunderZ

WEP is more secure then using nothing. However, it has been and is crackable.

11. Escalader

Don't be scared, do the research on the links provided that impact your setup.

Check out the password thread underway on this forum.

Passwords must be 15 characters or better in windows XP, as I understand it you need to move to WAP away from WEP.

Hide behind a hardware router and software firewall of your choice.

That's the best I can do for you based on my limited knowledge.

12. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

To be clear, I think Escalader meant to say: WPA (WiFi Protected Access) (preferably WPA2), which is the secure wireless communication standard.
    WAP (Wireless Access Point) is the hardware that creates an area that wireless devices can connect to the network.

With all these acronyms, one letter change can have a totally new meaning! :D

13. Escalader

Yes, D that is what I meant. Thanks for the editting job!

The devil is in the detail isn't it!

I hate wireless, still haven't recovered from my bad experience with it, probably never will.

I will leave the wirless advice to you, it's easier that way.

Have a good turkey day if you celebrate that sort of holiday...:D

14. JinxGenius

JinxGenius Registered Member

Just a word of saying, try to stay out of wireless,

because once you stepped into it deep enough,

you won't able to pull yourself back,

it's the swarm the will suck both you and your money in,

and there is nothing call "safe" in this world

unless you only keep "that" in your heart or mind

for now.

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If you have a device with only WEP, but it has a standard wired ethernet port, you can always get a wireless ethernet adapter (a wireless unit that plugs into the ethernet port and then connects to your router/access point). Some access points will switch modes to do this, but you can often find these in the gaming network devices of your local electronics store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.