Security advice requested, please

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by new girl, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new girl

new girl Registered Member

To anyone:

I am a relatively new computer user - purchased 1st one ever 6 months ago - and decided from the very beginning to make my investment as secure as possible. After reading different posts at different security forums I have either purchased or downloaded the free versions of the following programs and I am wondering if anyone can tell me if they are the right ones or if I am missing something critical. Thank you in advance.

Outpost Firewall
    Norton Antivirus - came with machine
    BoClean Anti-trojan
    Adaware
    Spywareblaster and Spyware Guard
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    and as of today, CCleaner (thanks to Tassie)

I would appreciate any advice.

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Sweetie,

You are to be commended for taking the initiative and protecting your investment. You have already taken the single most important step with your interest in improving your computer self defense. If you continue learning, then you will have a pretty secure system in no time.

Specifically for your setup, I would consider a few things to be improve:

1. If you are on Broadband (DSL or cable), get a router with built in hardware firewall. You will still use your software firewall. This will benefit you in several ways.

2. Configure everything (hardware and software) for security. This includes Windows itself (setting a good admin password, getting rid of any guest accounts, and removing unecessary services) and every program you use.
    The default configuration of anything is usually for maximum compatibility and minimum problems for the largest user base. This leads to weak security settings. For example, most routers come with a blank password or a very simple one like "password". Even your antivirus program can be password protected. Learn what each of the settings do and set it accordingly.
    For configuring the Outpost Firewall, go to OutpostFirewall.com and read Paranoid2000's excellent threads on configuring it. Guide to producing a secure configuration

3. Once your license for Norton expires, you might want to consider one of the other AntiVirus programs available.

4. You may want to consider an alternate browser like Firefox or Opera. And perhaps a more secure email client like Thunderbird or others.

5. Get a backup imaging program so you can preserve your secure computer in a time capsule in case the worst happens.

6. Keep learning, it's fun!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  3. chew

chew Registered Member

.... also Prevx ... and perhaps System Safety Monitor (SSM).

I have the former but many are using SSM here.

:D

4. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Don't forget to update your Windows and Antivirus and other tools you have
    often !!

And best advice, take the time to read in these forums frequently,

success,

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger

and here for more:

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.