SecureZone problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nexstar, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I did a fresh install of XP a couple of days ago and have gradually been installing all my "must have" bits of software since then. I bought TI8 after having been a TI7 user and I decided to give the SecureZone a go after not having used it previously.

I did a full backup and have been doing incremental backups with verification. All was fine until an hour ago when the incremental backup wouldn't verify. I tried resetting the machine but it still wouldn't work.

I then realised that I couldn't actually get at the incremental backups and so was unable to delete the last of them. I did then try taking another incremental backup but, not surprisingly, it still wouldn't verify.

In this situation, should I just perform a full image backup? I guess this will simply delete everything previously saved in the SZ.

I also created a partition of my own for backing up so that the files could be copied to DVD or an external drive. Is there really any point in using the SZ when you are unable to manipulate the files it contains? I appreciate that this is its purpose but, in my case, I'm guessing that I could have simply deleted the last corrrupt, incremental backup file (if it were on my own partition) to sort it out.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi,

Do a Forum search for "Secure Zone" and you'll see it's full of pitfalls. See comments in thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=47501 and decide whether you really need it.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  3. nexstar

Thanks! Based on my experiences since my last post, I'd already decided that the Secure Zone was not the way forward :eek:

I discovered that I was unable to run the XP "Help and Support" program for some reason. It wouldn't work via the Start button or directly from the Windows directory. After trying lots of suggestions I found on the web to get it going, I decided to re-install XP. Just before I did though, I ran the TI8 boot CD as I thought it would be quicker to go back to one of my incremental backups.

I then found that even the original full backup I had made was now reported as being corrupt and I know that I verified that and all the others subsequently.

What I couldn't understand was how a partition which is pretty much invisible and an image which had checked out previously as being ok had now suffered corruption. The only thing I can think of is that I defragged the disk using PerfectDisk but I don't really see that this should cause a problem.

Anyway, I did finally re-install Windows, installed a few drivers, did a full backup to a non-secure partition and......the verification failed o_O

I could mount the image ok and explore it but it wouldn't verify. So I did another full image backup and this one verified ok.

I now have another small drive attached to the system. The backup has been copied to that and verified again (twice!). I have to say thouh that my confidence has gradually been draining away throughout this whole process.

I almost wonder if there is some flakiness in the verification routine rather than any actual corruption going on.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nexstar,

Can you please clarify if PerfectDisk program runs in background mode?

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis support department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Acronis... compute with confidence

5. leehigdon3

leehigdon3 Registered Member

Andrew, are you suggesting there is a conflict between PerfectDisk and Acronis TI? I'm asking because I use both on my systems and have not noticed any problems. Can you clarify what any issues may be?

6. nexstar

Hi Andrew,

PerfectDisk certainly runs in the background....but I'm not sure if that is the same as running in "Background Mode"!

However, I didn't mean to give the impression that I was defragging the disk at the same time as backing up or verifying with TrueImage. I defragged at some point after the TI image was created in the Secure Zone and I couldn't think of anything else which could have affected it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.