SecureChat for Skype

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by aurics, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aurics

aurics Registered Member

Hi, found this encryption program for Skype, should I use it, has anyone tried it?

SecureChat performs a RSA 2048 with Optimal Asymmetric Encryption Padding (OAEP) on chat messages with Personal and Public certificates, thus no one can read them, except the participants.

-http://skypesecurechat.com-

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
  2. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

i suggest to go with jitsi if its open source non backdoored voip your lookin for, remember even if theres a so called "secure" addon for skype any provided "security" will be nullified by skypes potential backdoors , my 2 cents ;)

3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Unfortunately jitsi does not work with Skype.

4. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

well then only solution would be to have all your contacts switch over to jitsi and i recommend setting up a registrarless sip account as the others should as well and use something like http://sourceforge.net/projects/n2nedgegui/

for creating a vpn between you guys, have fun, just make sure if your using a vpn for your internet activitys , that it uses a vm instead of a openvpn tap adapter , since windows only allows one tap adapter connection per machine, wich the n2nedgegui will be using , not counting virtualbox where you can setup as many virtual machines as you wish

or use jitsis free sip sevice or sip2sip service wich is free as well

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I second that! I use Jitsi, and it is a great chat client! I tired Pidgin with OTR, and found that it was buggy for me. I've been a happy Jitsi user since.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If privacy is a concern then I would stay away form Skype. I'm pretty sure it has already been backdoored. -http://memeburn.com/2011/07/microsoft-and-skype-set-to-allow-backdoor-eavesdropping/

7. aurics

aurics Registered Member

Well I’ve tried Jitsi and it has nice features but few disadvantages as well, uses too much memory some bugs like contacts disappearing and looks like no one uses it,
    tried Securechat for Skype and it sends and receives to and from Skype only randomly well encrypted data and I can’t help but think that if even Nasa eavesdrop
    Skype they could do nothing to decode the medium.

8. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Just use an "Off The Record" implementation to chat. Gibberbot, Pidgen, etc...

A member here turned me on to RetroShare. Haven't set it up yet, doing the pre-install research, but it looks awesome. Downside (it seems) are that you need to forward ports - so you need access to the router - which you can't do while travelling. Don't think hotels have UPnP enabled. But for Home use, it looks good.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.