Secure Zone wrecks partition table

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tom100, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom100

tom100 Registered Member

I installed TI9 Secure Zone and removed it.

Now, Partition Magic shows that drive as "BAD" and no operation can be performed on it.

Disk Geometry error:
    Error #106: Partition didn't begin on head boundary.
    ucBeginSector expected to be 1, not 8.

I noticed that someone has asked a similar question but no solution was given.

How can this be repaired?

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Can you see the disk with Disk Management? Right click My Computer, click Manage, double click Disk Management. On the right hand side, if you can see the corrupted section then right click on it and select Format. Once that operation has completed, that section should be back to normal.

3. tom100

tom100 Registered Member

Disk Management can see the drive and its three partitions.
    But removing Secure Zone has not returned it to normal. The "ucBeginSector" is set to 8 where it needs to be 1. This is an illegal value and prevents Partition Magic from operating on this drive and its three partitions.
    There may be other undesirable concequences as well.

I am hoping for a solution that doesn't destroy my data. Maybe I have to buy a new HD to copy the data to and format the damaged one. This is an extreme solution indeed.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The correct way to remove a secure zone is to use the manage secure zone wizard. If you used any other method this can create problems.

Xpilot

5. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

In my previous suggestion I thought that you had a section of the disk, that had been affected by Secure Zone, corrupted. I did not realise that Secure Zone had affected your whole disk. Formatting is certainly not the way to go at this stage.
    You might want to try the following. While in Disk Management, right click on each partition, select Tools tab, then run error checking. It might resolve your problem.

Edit: I have just remembered of a utility which might solve your problem for you.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tom100,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify how did you remove Acronis Secure Zone: by means of "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" Wizard of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home or another way?

Could you please check the disks for errors?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)

- Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"

where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected report file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. tom100

tom100 Registered Member

Re: Secure Zone wrecks partition table (now fixed)

I did use "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" Wizard to both create and remove that spartition. Chkdsk does not fix it.

Everything seemed to work fine. No data was lost. Disk Management showed it as OK. It was when I needed to use Partition Magic and it refused to operate on that drive that I discovered the error. I suspect that many or all Acronis users who have removed their Secure Zone have the same problem but don't know it.

Maybe the error won't normally cause trouble. Maybe its a ticking time bomb.

I solved my problem by using "Paragon Partition Manager". I resized then restored that partition. It correctly rewrote the table with legal values. Windows can't do it, nor Partition Magic nor Acronis.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

For these low-level, potentially destructive, disk utilities I'm a big believer in using software from the same stable. Like many people I guess, I used to own PowerQuest Drive Image and Partition Magic. However, once I moved over to Acronis True Image I ditched Partition Magic and bought Acronis Disk Director Suite instead. They work extremely well together and there is now the added bonus of being able to include the rescue media for both products on one bootable CD/DVD.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.