Secure Setup w/ VBox?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dogeatpuss, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogeatpuss

dogeatpuss Registered Member

Hey-hey, first post.. :argh:

Got a little setup that I have going that I thought I might share n' it goes like something like this (beat kicks in..) :

- Clean install of windows, apply service packs / drivers.
    - COMODO installed w/ all apps blocked, 'svchost.exe' and 'System Applications' allowed TCP/UDP IN/OUT through a zone containing 10 IPs which are dished out by my router along with the IN/OUT from the VBox host-only adaptor to my Debian file server.
    - VirtualBox installed w/ a live-CD of Slax configured that contains essential internet apps. Networking within VBox configured as bridged (connecting to a router) with a static IP for Slax. Downloads folder from host machine is shared through to Slax using VBox.
    - Another virtual machine has been created from a barebones install of Debian 5 soley for the purpose of sharing out two XFS drives (1.5TB containing my personal data) which cannot be read by Window$ but are mapped through VBox's raw hard-disk access feature when needed, the host can contact the VM and map these drives over a VBox host-only network or bridged network when needed (i.e. when sharing out to other laptops on the local network).
    - Returnil has been installed, enabled and all applications are being installed to a secondary NTFS drive using SVS Personal to give the system that crisp fresh feeling each boot. :D

So I.. Access the internet through a Slax VM, access data through a Debian NAS-type VM, have Window$ loose changes on reboot and keep applications on a separate partition using SVS Personal.

What do you think? Bit off a stuff around to get up n' going :rolleyes: but it seems to work well (even though there are some warnings about using VBox's raw disk access functions).

Anyways hope this inspires someone out there.. :blink:

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Sounds good to me. Maybe play with a firewall vm also, have nix only hosts, windows guest - you could maybe cut out returnil and use all vm.

btw welcome :) .

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. dogeatpuss

dogeatpuss Registered Member

Hmm.. VMmed firewall, the thought has crossed my mind at some point but as I am restricting access to all but VBox's virtual adaptor, svchost.exe and sysapps for file sharing + RDP amongst local PCs I settled with COMODO (would have used ghostwall for a lighter footprint but it's XP only).

But I guess I could utilize that idea to serve out secured internet access to my other machines somehow, hmmm.. that should keep me busy. ;)

I would love to migrate to *nix and drool over the thought of virtualized systems with VideoOverIP features but seeing as I have enjoyed the ol' M$ RROD my PC is now my only gaming platform and I don't really want to dual boot.

If only there were a way to save a Linux snapshot to disk (from a system on bare metal) and then quickly reboot to a cut down dedicated XP gaming install. Or be able to load saved memory states as you do with VMs but rather on bare-metal machines (i.e. system state saved to HDD or SSD -> essential services shut down -> reboot -> ability for saved state to loaded back into RAM from MBR menu and continue from last point). Yep..

Now all I have to do is hook up a AV transmitter to my video-out so that I can admin through RDP and launch games onto the TV through the video-out transmit / receiver combo..

Thanks for the input. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.