Secure Setup w/ VBox?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dogeatpuss, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogeatpuss

dogeatpuss Registered Member

Hey-hey, first post.. :argh:

Got a little setup that I have going that I thought I might share n' it goes like something like this (beat kicks in..) :

- Clean install of windows, apply service packs / drivers.
    - COMODO installed w/ all apps blocked, 'svchost.exe' and 'System Applications' allowed TCP/UDP IN/OUT through a zone containing 10 IPs which are dished out by my router along with the IN/OUT from the VBox host-only adaptor to my Debian file server.
    - VirtualBox installed w/ a live-CD of Slax configured that contains essential internet apps. Networking within VBox configured as bridged (connecting to a router) with a static IP for Slax. Downloads folder from host machine is shared through to Slax using VBox.
    - Another virtual machine has been created from a barebones install of Debian 5 soley for the purpose of sharing out two XFS drives (1.5TB containing my personal data) which cannot be read by Window$ but are mapped through VBox's raw hard-disk access feature when needed, the host can contact the VM and map these drives over a VBox host-only network or bridged network when needed (i.e. when sharing out to other laptops on the local network).
    - Returnil has been installed, enabled and all applications are being installed to a secondary NTFS drive using SVS Personal to give the system that crisp fresh feeling each boot. :D

So I.. Access the internet through a Slax VM, access data through a Debian NAS-type VM, have Window$ loose changes on reboot and keep applications on a separate partition using SVS Personal.

What do you think? Bit off a stuff around to get up n' going :rolleyes: but it seems to work well (even though there are some warnings about using VBox's raw disk access functions).

Anyways hope this inspires someone out there.. :blink:

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Sounds good to me. Maybe play with a firewall vm also, have nix only hosts, windows guest - you could maybe cut out returnil and use all vm.

btw welcome :) .

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  3. dogeatpuss

dogeatpuss Registered Member

Hmm.. VMmed firewall, the thought has crossed my mind at some point but as I am restricting access to all but VBox's virtual adaptor, svchost.exe and sysapps for file sharing + RDP amongst local PCs I settled with COMODO (would have used ghostwall for a lighter footprint but it's XP only).

But I guess I could utilize that idea to serve out secured internet access to my other machines somehow, hmmm.. that should keep me busy. ;)

I would love to migrate to *nix and drool over the thought of virtualized systems with VideoOverIP features but seeing as I have enjoyed the ol' M$ RROD my PC is now my only gaming platform and I don't really want to dual boot.

If only there were a way to save a Linux snapshot to disk (from a system on bare metal) and then quickly reboot to a cut down dedicated XP gaming install. Or be able to load saved memory states as you do with VMs but rather on bare-metal machines (i.e. system state saved to HDD or SSD -> essential services shut down -> reboot -> ability for saved state to loaded back into RAM from MBR menu and continue from last point). Yep..

Now all I have to do is hook up a AV transmitter to my video-out so that I can admin through RDP and launch games onto the TV through the video-out transmit / receiver combo..

Thanks for the input. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.