secure program for external drive ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wills, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I am looking for a secure device or program for an external hard drive that I want to store my Ghost Image from my notebook in.
    My notebook is a pentium 4, xp, Intel processor, 1.9 ghz, 512 RAM.

i want to buy a western digital one touch external drive or a maxtor one touch and ghost my notebook to it and also store some files.

i tried out the ghost program and i can creat a boot disk that recognizes the hard drive, however I want to secure the hard drive in the event of theft and from all the surfing i have done it seems to tell me that i can't access the Ghost Image that would be stored on the external drive if i have a security program on it as the disk will not allow me past it.

i gather that this is an encryption type of program, i thought that there might be a "password" type of program that I would be given the opportunity to enter the password and if I was not the proper user and would not know the password then the whole access would stop.
    However I can't seem to find such a program in all my surfing.

I just come up with dead ends indicating that the Boot Disk for the Hard Drive if with a security program will not allow me access to the drive.

I hope that someone out there has comments or suggestions.

The new Maxtor series II says it has a "Drive Lock" feature which after some surfing and reading it seems that it is a Port Lock that I would get a Kensington device to lock ito_O
    I don't know what that is and how secure it would be.
    i have been on this hunt for a whole week now and used all kinds of word combinations in google and come up with nothing.

I hope to hear form some members, I really need to store this ghost image on a secure external drive along with personal files.

Thankyou for your time

2. SPEEDY6128

SPEEDY6128 Registered Member

Hi Wills, I'am new here. Check out "FolderLock" its made by Newsoftwares. It allows you to install it onto any external harddrive. I currently have encrpted and have locked 120gb so far on it. Dead easy to use. Hope this is what you after.

regards kev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.