Secure Password Generator

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by chronomatic, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I recently finished writing a secure password generator (with a GUI) for Linux. I see a lot of people on the Ubuntu forums asking for password generators, and while there are a number of CLI generators, there are no GUI generators (that I can find).

Here's the description from my PPA page:

If you decide to install it from my PPA, in order to run it all you have to do is look in Menu ---> Accessories --> Pypass password generator

I realize there are such generators on the Internet, but the tin-foil hat types amongst us do not trust generating passwords (or random numbers) from such websites, especially if the connection is not SSL/TLS. This, hopefully, solves this problem.

Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

Again, here is a link to my PPA. (My alter-ego is "rookcifer" in the Ubuntu world).

In order to install the package all in one command, run the following:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rookcifer/pypass && sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install pypass
    Please give feedback if you decide to install. Thanks! :cool:

EDIT: I realize some of you might not trust me. After all, don't I often tell people "only install from trusted sources?" So, all I can do is offer a link to the source code (the source code is, of course, included in the .deb from the PPA). If anyone knows Python here, perhaps they can give it a quick look and let all the non-coders know it is safe.

Since this site doesn't allow .tar.gz attachments, I will just put it on my Ubuntu One account for download. Click here to download the .tar.gz.

As most of you probably know, you can run most source code without having to install it from the root account. The only difference is you will have to start it from the terminal (instead of the menu). But at least you can preview it without having to trust me with root. Just untar it to any directory you wish, open a terminal and run:

Code:
    ./pypass.py
    Thanks again. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. tlu

tlu Guest

Interesting! I'm using the SecurePassword Generator extension for Firefox, a short description is here. How does your generator differ from that one?

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Just perusing that extension, I would say the main difference is that mine includes an entropy and brute force calculator. Also, mine has an option to generate a pass phrase of random words (as opposed to mnemonics). And, without looking at the code, I am not sure what RNG it uses; its RNG may or may not be statistically random. Mine uses /dev/urandom which is secure and 100% unpredictable by all accounts I have seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.