Secure...or not?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chocolatjon, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chocolatjon

chocolatjon Registered Member

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section, I am new and would like some advice.

I currently run windows xp with mcaffee internet security paid until july.
    superantispyware, malwarebytes and comodo dragon browser/chrome.

I would be grateful for feedback as to whether this would be a secure suite of security or any recommendations to improve my setup.

Many thanks to you all

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Add something like Sandboxie, DefenseWall, GeSWall or Bufferzone. You also might want to look at Hitman Pro. Sandboxie, GesWall and Bufferzone have free versons.

Softpedia has DefenseWall for 60% off. This is what I am using.
    http://www.softpedia.com/discounts/

Trustware is giving away Bufferzone Pro for the Holidays.
    http://www.trustware.com/

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Keep the system patched and all your security software regularly updated and your current setup is adequate

4. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I totally agree with Cudni, adding something is really not necessary, I personally only want one realtime program running.

McAfee Internet Security is a good product, I hope you have the 2011 version. However in my eyes the Internet Security suite ain't worth the additional money you have to pay compared to the AntiVirus Plus. However in your eyes it could be worth it, if you perceive added value from the backup, parental control and anti-spam functions.

Also I don't know if you have the paid versions (i.e. running in realtime) of Malwarebytes and/or SUPERAntiSpyware. Personally I wouldn't use the paid versions from both of them, one of them however is fine. Using both on-demand once in a while is indeed a great practice, just to be sure.

Next to that, in my eyes you should upgrade to Windows 7 when you have a good opportunity. Windows 7 is a lot safer than XP for home users. For example, it adds several techniques which will help you protect your pc. Combining features like UAC, DEP (which is also included in XP, the combination makes it powerful), SEHOP and ASLR really provides a good layer of protection, without sacrificing pc performance.

5. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

you can also try getting a free backup software and backup image of your OS...and also can signup for zumodrive for instant online backup of your important files..I think 2GB is free.. :)

6. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I personally would not feel safe with what he has against zero day threats (especially since he is on XP and I assume 32 bit) which is why I recommended he add something like Sandboxie. I do not know much about the Comodo Dragon browser so I don't know how secure it is.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Exactly.

@ chocolatjon

Not to mention that the license has been paid for. At least, use it until it ends. Then, if you do not wish to renew, look at what other options you may find fit for you.

Some users have given a few suggestions. Maybe you start investigating what would be useful and what not, including renewing McAfee suite.

8. chocolatjon

chocolatjon Registered Member

Well thanks to all of you who have responded to my post, I really appreciate it.

The malwarebytes and superantispyware were free versions. And since doing a little perusal, i have got adaware pro and now bufferzone pro from you kind posters on here. :)

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I would totally agree, but cannot because I don't know what you do.. exactly.

While Cudni and company are giving some great "keep it lean and mean" advice, which is dear to my heart, I would advise you to examine your online habits before leaving it at that. It also depends on your level of knowledge.

As an example, if you do a lot of torrent activity or download a lot of software to try out, perhaps you need something in the way of virtualization. Maybe all you do is check your email and do generic browsing, so you don't need much if anything else.

There are so many ways to create security it can be quite overwhelming. I suggest you categorize where your "threats" might come from, learn about them if you don't already know, and then ask again with that data. While you will 100% guaranteed get more suggestions than you might be able to cope with, you will get suggestions that truly apply to you rather than a blanket statement.

Nothing against blanket statements and all, lol. I just think what you use for security greatly depends on what you do.. exactly.

Sul.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Remove Ad-Aware Pro and get a disk imaging program (like Paragon).

11. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

BufferZone can indeed be a great addition. But AdAware is one of those programs I will never ever install even if they would pay me.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

:thumb: +1 and don't mess up, keep it simple and master what already installed. More than enough....

13. weirddemon

weirddemon Registered Member

I'll never understand why people think they need a million different security applications plus apps like sandboxie.

With common sense, you only need a decent browser and one, maybe two, apps.

I personally use MSSE, MBAM, and Chrome. I've never had an issue.

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would not add anything.
    Regards,
    Jerry

15. Kernelwars

apps like sandboxie will help you when your antivirus dont have signature ready for some malwares that you might encounter.:D

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree i just use spyshelter and i added my browser and media player and messenger to the restricted area for protection again registry changes and other stuff;) in real time also in my browser i restricted so i block files to be download or run within my broser;) i feel secure with one program :)

17. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Exactly. :thumb:

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree kernell:thumb:

19. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Fixed it for you :thumb:

20. weirddemon

weirddemon Registered Member

I get why you think you need it, but that doesn't mean you actually do. I used Sandboxie once and uninstalled it after a month.

It's not needed. With caution, common, sense and a good AV app, you're fine.

21. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

As wierddemon says "It's not needed. With caution, common, sense and a good AV app, you're fine."

I use Sandboxie to protect me from the time when I might not use enough caution or common sense. Its to protect me from myself.

Its very comforting to browse the web all over the planet and then delete the sandbox knowing that if I downloaded an nasties they have just been eradicated. I've used it for years and wouldn't do without it.

22. Kernelwars

ah even with common sense and good AV app you are not protected against malwares that are not identified by the so called AV apps. So yea my friend you need something like a sandbox or a HIPS to give you that chance to prevent the breakin. Neways thats why ppl stress on a layer security rather than depending on one app and its signatures. :argh:

23. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Can one have common sense with computer security if they don't understand it?

I have common sense and employ no AV but do employ Sandboxie, what does that make me :D

Sul.

24. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Same here.:thumb:

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Sul that make you a nerd;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.