Secure Messaging App Showdown: WhatsApp vs. Signal

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 30, 2017.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Secure Messaging App Showdown: WhatsApp vs. Signal

Hint: One is better for security, the other is best for privacy!

-- Tom

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Nice read. Like most secure solutions my problem is that my real name friends don't see the importance. Its so frustrating at times.

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

A strange conclusion they come to. First they say the security is the same, then they make it sound like WhatsApp is better for security. You could even say Signal is better for security as warning to changed public key/identity is on by default.(Of course I understand that turning it on by default is not really feasible for WhatsApps hundreds of millions users who have know clue what it means.)

4. lotuseclat79

It would seem the dividing line between security and privacy is very slim, however, that is because privacy means are provided by secure methods.

-- Tom

5. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

So in what way is WhatsApp better at privacy or security for that matter?

Signal:
    Open source
    Made with security in mind from day 1
    Saves no metadata
    No connection to any corporation
    Made by a not for profit
    Android app is programmed by a world renowned security expert

WhatsApp
    Closed source
    Originally had no encryption, followed by terrible encryption, followed by bad encryption, followed by decent encryption, followed by Signal Protocol (amazing encryption)
    Saves metadata
    Owned by Facebook, a company that makes billions selling your data to advertising
    Programmed by ask far as I can tell un-named individuals working for Facebook

6. lotuseclat79

I believe the difference is that Signal provides the means to do end-to-end encryption at the protocol level, whereas WhatsApp is constructed upon those features for privacy.

-- Tom

7. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

whatsapp may be "encrypted messaging" but it gathers & logs so much other data on their servers of who you contact/when, md5 hash of attached files. timestamps of when they were sent, when you last logged on/used it
    whatsapp knows the names of your group chats and what contacts are in that group chat.. lots of metadata gathered, stored... yes facebook may not be able to see the content of the messages, but they know & log everything else.

signal doesn't know the names of your group chat or who is in them, doesn't store on its servers anything other than that you have used the service sometime on the last 24 hours..

8. Beyonder

Just because WhatsApp is "constructed upon those features for privacy" doesn't mean it's in any way, shape or form more private than Signal. If you want privacy you are always better off with Signal since it stores no metadata.

9. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I think Wire should be in the game, too.

10. Beyonder

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I haven't looked into this stuff very carefully. Mainly because I can't imagine using cell-based mobile devices for secure stuff.

So anyway, I've recently started using the Keybase app in Linux. Since February, it's had both cloud storage and chat. Everything is based on GnuPG keys. All data is encrypted locally before hitting Keybase servers. Plus forward-secure TLS for transport, of course. Users can choose to upload private keys, passphrase-encrypted of course. But otherwise, users' private keys stay on their devices.

Given that, Keybase can't do anything tricky with data. You encrypt files to keys of all users to be granted access. Chat data gets encrypted to the recipient. If a user doesn't have their private key on a device, they can't work with files or chat. There's no mechanism for trusting devices based on some more-or-less secure authentication mechanism. You either have the private key, or you don't.

Do any of the other chat apps work like that?

I do get the downside. If you lose your private key, you're screwed. You need to create a new one, and authenticate it with all of your contacts. And you lose access to all stored files encrypted to the lost key. But that's a decent tradeoff, as I see it.

12. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I'm not familiar with Telegram nor Wire. However, I read somewhere that the Wire server stores a lot of metadata unencrypted! This has als been discussed on Twitter with a dubious explanation from Wire. No way that I will use that app :thumbd:

Besides, wire.com (216.239.34.21) is hosted by Google. Google and privacy? :blink:

13. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I don't see the private key thing as a big deal. If someone cannot protect a saved and stored "keyset" they shouldn't be using this encryption method. Its the equivalent of not storing and saving a seed to a btc wallet. Both of these items are absolutely crucial to providing secure and permanent access to vital things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.