'Secure It' and Administrator Rights

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ~*Nat*~, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Ok...I downloaded "SecureIt" So far everything was ok, besides my IE-Settings being different from what they were before the download.

Then I tried to download another program, and it said "I have to be an admin to install" or something like that.
    SI added two desktop icons, one for Outlook and one for IE with non-admin rights. I trust that it is safer that way. But I do quite alot of installings.
    And most applications Do require Admin rights.

Does that mean I have to get rid of SI...or how else can I install programs
    in peace ?

When I then uninstalled the settings I was able to install my other program.

What to do ? :doubt:

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I use DropMyRights to do the same thing with my browser. All you have to do is save the file to disk first and then run it rather than selecting "open" on the download prompt. If you're used to just hitting 'open', this may take a little getting used to, but it shouldn't take that long. Just pay attention to what the file name is and where you save it.

Just think, if that was a trojan or piece of spyware that was trying to install without you knowing, it won't have the rights to run either :)

3. ~*Nat*~

Notok, thank's so much for your reply. You seem to be experienced with it already.
    But I've never done it like that..."save to disk". And most my downloads go into the "Program Files" - folder.
    When I do as you say, will the programs go into That folder..or would I have to search and run ? But "how" would I run it ?

Sorry..but I need a bit more understanding, lol.

Thank's for your help !

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

When you select "save to disk" and click 'ok', it should open a new dialog with one window with a drop down menu above it. Most likely it will be in "My Documents" already, which is fine. The items in the drop down menu should be the same as what you see in "My Computer" So just take a look at what's in the drop down menu (again, "My Documents" should be ok for now, but down the road when you're more used to it you can make your own downloads folder) and make sure you make a note of what the file name is (for example 'setup.exe'), and click "save", this will download the file into your "My Documents" folder. Now just go into "My Documents" either through the start menu (in Windows XP) or through "My Computer" (should be there in all versions of Windows) and double click the 'setup.exe' you just downloaded to run it.

This may seem like a lot, but it's only a total of 6 or 7 clicks in 3 steps - download file, find the file, run the file. The advantage of doing it this way, too, is that if you want to install it again at a later date, you don't have to download it all over again because you'll already have it :)

Let me know if that isn't clear..

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

saving to disk is also a safe practice as you can >rightclick on it once its on desktop/ doc and settings or where ever and run a scan with your anti virus before you run its set up.

6. ~*Nat*~

Notok & solarpowered candle,

With your explanations I may have gained a bit more confidence on trying it "your" way. I'm surely a nervous wreck already...but I'll just master it. Cannot be too hard, can it. ;)

Thank's much for helping me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.