Secure delete for temp internet files

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ajcstr, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

I am looking for a program that will securely delete temporary files upon exiting a browser. I was looking for something that does this automatically that runs on Vista 64 bit.

My wife deals with a lot of confidential info and I would like to set the pc up to automatically securely delete the temp and temp internet stuff. I would settle for something I could schedule if there is nothing out there that would just delete upon closing the browser.

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Ajcstr, you may wish to look at R-Wipe&Clean. It has the ability to wipe Internet traces automatically upon the close of a browser, and (I believe) runs on 64-bit versions of Windows.

3. ajcstr

ajcstr Registered Member

Thanks - missed the fact that this app can be scheduled !

4. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

@ Pleonasm,

R-Wipe&Clean does work on 64-bit systems, including Windows 7.

I have a question, though... Does R-Wipe&Clean take care of Vista's thumbnail cache, just as it does Windows XPs's thumbs.dat? I could never get an answer from Tech. Support on that question.

5. Pleonasm

Snowdrift, my approach is to disable the use of thumbnails in Windows Vista and thereby avoid the problem.

I don’t see a specific option in R-Wipe&Clean 8.6.1517 for wiping thumbnails. However, I believe that Vista stores thumbnails in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache*.db. In this case, you can easily create a custom task in R-Wipe&Clean to wipe those files.

6. snowdrift

http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-the-Thumbnail-Cache-in-Vista

7. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I've been using this for years, very effective.

Clean Disk Security - http://www.diskcleaners.com/clndisk.html

You use it for free for some time, after that you get a nag screen to buy, but worth it.

It doesn't upon clean on exiting a browser, don't know any that do. To properly delete ALL those files, and there are more than you think, you have to REboot after using Apps like this.

Ccleaner is also good, i use both.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Will this work on Vista 64 bit too? I assume that it should. Thanks for the info. I knew how to do it in XP but not Vista.

There was another suggestion that was posted here at Wilders about disabling file indexing in XP. Very easy to do. I wonder if it can also be done in Vista?

9. Pleonasm

Also easy to do with Windows Vista: in Windows Explorer, view the Properties of the drive; and, under the General tab, disable “Index this drive for faster searching.”

10. duk

duk Registered Member

One tip, i dont know if it works on Vista 64-bit, but for thumbnail cache and other things i like to use PureRa [raproducts.org for download]. Use together with the R-Wipe&Clean looks good.

11. snowdrift

duk, PureRa *does not* work on the thumbnails cache in Vista or Windows 7.

12. ha14

ha14 Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.