Secure Clean - Overflow

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by Shelb, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

I left Cryptosuite to secure clean the free space on my C drive late last night. When I woke this morning, I found that the space it had cleaned was exceeding the total free space of the drive. I took this screenshot before I cancelled out of the process. Windows was also tricked into thinking that I was running out of space. I have not noticed any missing data or hiccups since this morning. Explorer is also showing the correct amount of free space once the process was cancelled. It is worth noting that a couple data recovery tools do show show lots of deleted data still lingering on the drive....... Unfortunately, I did not run them before the cleaning, so I do not know if it was data that was missed or data that fell victim to the error? I will see if I can repeat the behavior this again evening.

http://www.shelbyshreve.com/downloads/cs_overflow.jpg

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Shelb, This is what happens when you perform the action you have taken, windows thinks that it is running out of space but actually does not but read on:)

From the help file:

To clean free space on your disk drive simple right click on any file/folder/drive and click on the CryptoSuite submenu to bring up "Secure Delete Free Space". When cleaning free space CryptoSuite begins creating a file that will use up the rest of your disk space. As it is doing this, it is securely removing the old data that is stored on it. After the file CryptoSuite creates is the size of the free space, the secure deletion has finished and CryptoSuite deletes the file.

System Restore Points
    On Windows operating systems with "Restore Points", securely cleaning free disk space may indirectly cause windows to remove your "Restore Points". This is because "Restore Points" are based on the amount of free disk space you have, and due to the way cleaning free disk space works by creating a very large file, Windows may remove your "Restore Points" to get more disk space.

This will only occur if you clean free disk space on the drive which contains the "System Restore Points", this is typically the drive you installed Windows on. If you want to SECURELY clean free disk space on your Windows drive you will have to deal with Windows removing your "System Restore Points" as there is no current work around for this issue.

3. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

Ooops, read the friggin manual :D
    Thanks for your help :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.