Secure a small home server with no wan access, lan only ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chrome_sturmen, Apr 19, 2016.

1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I have a small windows-based home server that I'm running headless. I've used a software firewall to block icmp, outgoing tcp, and udp-except for one udp allow rule for remote access so I can remote into the machine. Also, in the ip config I left the gateway blank.

The machine has no internet access, but it works fine to share drives with my lan, which is what I set it up for.
    What sort of security might be needed for such a machine if any? There is basically nothing installed on it except for some management tools etc. I have many unneeded services disabled, not sure what else I'd need. I do have a software firewall installed as mentioned.

Thoughts appreciated

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

What server OS are you running?

3. chrome_sturmen

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Without having a gateway configured any definition based file scanner will be useless. Id personally only worry about have an AV on my internet facing machines. Removing the gateway should be plenty. I have removed the gateway from XP machines in one of my corporate networks since the date XP no longer got updates and so far so good.

5. chrome_sturmen

10-4

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.