Secunia software inspector

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by RexB, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RexB

RexB Registered Member

Hope I posted this to the right section, didn't see it already after a search.

Secunia offered this Software Inspector to checkout browsers and some of the larger packages on our machines for security gaps. It reminded me to uninstall old Sun Java and Flash installs. Another scan tool for the arsenal :~)

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Too bad that it uses Java, other than that it´s cool. ;)

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its very useful it alerted me that im running an old unsecured version of quick time. where can I download the latest quicktime without itunes?
    lodore

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

What's wrong with Java o_O You better watch out or java programmers are going to challenge you to a coding smackdown :eek:

I personally enjoy java and its portability but anyways...

The software inspector is pretty nice, alerted me to macromedia flash v. 7 hidden in some random file on my harddrive, so I just erased it. Everything else was up to date, so I am riding good right now.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

5. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

How long did it take to run the program? I started it and let it run for 45 min. with no results.Maybe it's having trouble with my security programs but I did not read where you had to turn anything off,just that it may take longer to scan if A/V was left on. Correct?

6. RexB

RexB Registered Member

7. RexB

RexB Registered Member

Yea, that's the way I read it too. It didn't take long, just 5 or 6 minutes maybe, for Secunia security inspector to scan with the A/V on here.

8. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Oh well,I tried.lol.

9. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Alternative to Quiktime: QuickTime Alternative (aptly named): http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
    As to Secunia Software Inspector:
    Very interesting.
    Alerted to: Application - Sun Java JRE, Version Detected - 5.0.xxx, Status - fail.
    Huh? I recently installed latest JRE. (??)
    However, scrolling down, it found the latest version. Status - OK. (o_O)
    OK, open up the + sign for details, and I find older JRE versions in a couple app.s.
    Delete old "java.exe" in offending app.s, install latest "java.exe" and all is well.
    Same occured with Adobe Reader (which I don't have installed!).
    It was embedded in another app. Deleted the AcroRD.exe. file, and when the command for a .pdf reader was invoked, my GSView (my alt. pdf reader) opened up.
    Although I think none of these particular "fails" warranted a serious security concern, I found it quite enlightening.
    P.S.: Now the Secunia Software Inspector yields nothing but 'green checks'.
    All in the household can now rejoice & sleep well (yea, right)

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Removing old versions of macromedia flash and adobe flash? Could anyone shed some light on how that is safely done? Also, Java 2 Runtime Environment older versions (1.4.2_04 and 1.4.2_05) ? Can (or should) those be removed with the windows add/remove program?

thanks

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Uninstall Flash

As far as Java goes, use the add/remove programs in the control panel.

12. acr1965

Thanks!

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks.

14. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I did a Google search for an uninstaller for Flash to remove old versions having run Secunia Software Inspector. There is a separate uninstaller available, but I also found an MS update for November 2006, which when installed corrected the flaw in Flash, at least according to a re-run of the Secunia check.

15. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Thanks very useful - zero spyware has a similar feature.

16. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Agreed. Very nice indeed.

17. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

I have a question.

I got this message

"This installation of Adobe Reader 7.x is insecure and potentially exposes your system to security threats!

The detected version installed on your system is 7.0.8.218, however, the latest secure version released by the vendor, fixing one or more vulnerabilities, is 8.0.

Update Instructions:
    Update to Adobe Reader 8.0.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Vulnerabilities Fixed:
    Read about the vulnerabilities fixed with this update in Secunia advisory SA23138 (opens in a new window). The Secunia advisory describes the vulnerabilities fixed by the latest security update. If your installation is outdated with more than one version, then more vulnerabilities may be covered.

Installed on Your System in:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"

How risky is it if I don't update to 8.0?

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Like with most content-rendering apps, the risk is in scripts. By default Acrobat Reader supports scripts. I warmly recommend you use Foxit. It's much lighter and does not support script by default; you must download the script plugin to properly view .pdf files that contain scripted (active) content. Which makes it ideal for viewing risky files even if you are not fully up to date with latest version.

An alternative option is to try to disable scripts in Acrobat.

Haven't tried doing it, but got tired of constant updates and reboots, just like Java, which is why I'm not using either anymore.

You might wanna look into other pdf readers / distillers, as well. Ghostscript and Postscript conversion could also do the trick.

Mrk

19. acr1965

That Adobe Reader 8 is a behemoth, like 100 MB's. How do you disable scripts in Adobe 5? Also, has anyone tried Foxit Reader 2.0?

20. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Foxit runs well. Quickly and simply.
    Disabling scripts in Acrobat - haven't tried but I promise I will.
    Mrk

21. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Here it is:

http://netzreport.googlepages.com/how_to_use_adobe_reader_7_with_javascript_disabled.html

For those too lazy to click the link:

The first step to disable JavaScript is to start the application, click on "Edit" and then "Preferences". Choose in the left column "JavaScript" and remove the check mark next to "Enable Acrobat JavaScript" in the right column.

Then the article continues about an annoying message warning that javascript is disabled and how the alert can be disabled. But the security is in the above sentence.

Mrk

22. acr1965

I have adobe reader 5.0 and it does not have the same preference options as 7.0. There is no place uncheck "enable java script." All I ever use a pdf viewer for is to read attachments as I never create anything that fancy. What would you (and anyone else) recommend: upgrade to adobe reader 7.0 and uncheck "enable java script" or delete adobe from my system and download foxit? Can java script be disabled in foxit? Their 2.0 has the following feature:
    "Java script support: Advanced users are able to use Java script to create complex logic for PDF forms, to validate user input and process data."

But as an add-on, foxit has:
    "Java Script Support- This add-on is used to execute Java Script in many interactive forms. If you don't install this add-on, although you still can fill in such forms, you wouldn't be able to perform some automated tasks like field value verification and recalculation."

So does that mean java script will be available only as an add-on? If so, I'll just not add it.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Btw this tool does not seem to work correctly, I´m pretty sure I didn´t install all patches on my virtual machine running Windows XP Home and IE, but according to this tool everything is just fine. o_O

24. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Good advice Mrk, I've tried FoxIt and can only advise it as well, thank you :
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/down_reader.htm

Moreover, the vulnerability history for the versions 1.x to 2.x is null :
    1.x : http://secunia.com/product/9640/?task=advisories
    2.x : http://secunia.com/product/12995/?task=advisories

I was tired also to update adobe reader constantly, good alternative.

Regards,
    gkweb.

25. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Cheers!
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.