Secunia PSI Question?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If your already good about making sure you have the latest updates to your OS, browsers, Java, AV, Firewall, Apple Quicktime, and Adobe Flash is there really any need for Secunia PSI? Does it check for anything else other than software updates? I have it installed, and i want to cut down on real-time protection.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I like it because I find it's more reliable than my memory :) I also like how it provides an all-in-one update solution with the product update links it provides - a nice convenience factor. It's only run on-demand whenever I feel the need to check everything, usually once/week. Otherwise if you're diligent about updating everything, then I'd say you don't need it.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I didnt find it useful. I found it annoying. Some things cant be patched and report vulnerabilities that arent being fixed by the manufacturer.

I ran it real time. Maybe you could try that?

4. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm already running it real-time. I'm just wondering if I need it at all considering i'm already borderline obsessive compulsive about checking to make sure I have the latest security patches of common vulnerable programs like Adobe Reader, Adobe flash, java, Quicktime player, Browsers, etc.. I'm already running OA premium, NOD 32, Prevx premium, and Shadow Defender. Another thing is it occasionally reports programs as unpatched when I have the most recent build. Is it just saying a vulnerability has been found for the program, and it has not been patched by the developer or is this an error with PSI?

5. carat

carat Guest

Try the latest version - I haven't seen such problems :)

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It checks for more than just those, so I still use it, but not in real-time, only on demand once in a while. When there's an security update for the programs you mention I read about it on Wilders or other sites and a lot of times even before PSI says there's an update.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

I have decided to keep PSI, but I'm not going to continue running it in real time. I'm going to use it on-demand from now on. I just don't see much since in having it running all the time.

8. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I use the web based version (OSI) rather than install version (PSI). No install needed....just need to remember to visit the OSI site once in a while. OSI is not as thorough as PSI, but good enough imo for the most important programs (Adobe, Java etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.