Secunia OSI scan never completes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Secunia OSI states that scans normally take from 5 to 40 seconds. I have two computers running XP SP2 which are set up virtually the same. On one computer Secunia OSI completes normally. On the other computer the scan starts and runs but never finishes, the timer just continues to run. I have tried several times and let the timer go for quite a few minutes each time before giving up. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas what the cause might be?

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Maybe their having server problems. I had trouble just getting to the site when I saw your post but it's now working ok. Would you by any chance be using Sandboxie? If you have a custom config. Java.exe needs to be able to run and access the internet.

3. Firebytes

Thanks for the reply innerpeace.

I don't think it was that the site was having server problems as I have tried on more than one occasion on different days. I guess it is remotely possible that I was just having bad timing though each time. I will try again later today.

I have Java set up the same on both machines.

4. Firebytes

Still no dice on the one machine. The scanner stalls out at "Checking for missing security updates from Microsoft".

5. innerpeace

Does svchost have internet access? I notice that it needs to connect for the Windows update part of the scan.

I'm thinking it may be your security setup that may be blocking something.

Edit: wuau.exe also needs internet access.

6. Firebytes

Yes, they have internet access on both machines and both machines have the same security programs. Unless I have just missed something, I have the security settings the same as well. I have no problems going to the Windows Update site manually and checking/downloading updates either. I am really at a loss as to what is different between the two machines that might be causing this but I will keep trying to discover what it might be.

Thanks

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Firebytes, have you tried Secunia PSI to see if it makes a difference? You can always remove it afterward, using Revo Uninstaller in Advanced mode.

8. innerpeace

Firebytes, Have a look here and see if any of the suggestions help.

You could also try what JRViejo suggested. If you wanted to keep PSI you can disable it from running in the background if you like.

What browser/s have you tried and what OS do you have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.