Secunia acquired by Flexera

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BoerenkoolMetWorst, Jan 31, 2016.

1. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I just went to Secunia's site to download PSI to discover I'm being redirected to flexerasoftware.com
    Apparently they've already been acquired last September(http://news.softpedia.com/news/secunia-acquired-by-flexera-software-491838.shtml) but I couldn't find a thread about it here.
    They're still offering PSI for free(at least for consumers) but now you have to fill in lots of personal details before you can download, and the site isn't even available in HTTPS...

2. erikloman

erikloman Developer

Apparently already in september 2015
    http://www.flexerasoftware.com/prod...ecunia-Software-Vulnerability-Management.html

3. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Luckily, you can fill those 'required fields' with nonsense data, and when you are offered the download, you can save the offered direct download link for later use (you only need the URL part up to and including PSISetup.exe, you can discard the following query string).

Also, the Secunia download links are still offered, at https://secunia.com/support/download/, also the download link for the PSI2 installer and even the PSI1 installer.
    If you want PSI2 (or even PSI1) and haven't saved the installer, save it now, when it is still offered.

I really hope Flexera will keep supporting PSI2, as Secunia did.
    If not, then it's over for me, I don't want PSI3.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Is there a problem with PSI v3?

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

v3 is extremely dumbed down compared to v2. I liked v2. They lost me with v3. I don't even care that it exists anymore.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I don't even like v2, because it started with stuff running in the background, though that could be disabled :p

Thanks, I also filled the fields with nonsense, but other customers might send legitimate data over HTTP, and the download is HTTP as well.
    Thanks for the other download links :)

Yes thanks, I found that out too:

7. Stupendous Man

I don't like that either, I have that disabled.

Very true.
    I don't like it a bit, what Flexera is doing. :(

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Does anybody still use PSI?

In all the years I've used it only notified me once while using Windows 7 that MS XML Core Service 4.0 was EOL and their recommendation was to uninstall and install MS XML Core Service 6.0, which was explained to them often enough on their forum that that was not an answer.

Anyway...

Other than that I've had 100% score since and just removed it from all three of my machines. I think is unnecessary on my machines. What do you think?

9. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

I'm still using it on all the family laptops in my household. Great to see who hasn't updated google chrome or windows.
    I got a message of an insecure program in need of updating when installing the latest Nvidia driver yesterday evening.
    Looked at the path and saw that it was something in a temp folder. After running Ccleaner Secunia was green again.

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It has not been updated once, since they have acquired it. I was using it for some time, but it failed to update a single software, caused BSOD and such.
    I have just tried to install it and it did not detect any outdated software, there are tons of it, including outdated flash. It is most likely abandonware now.

11. layman

layman Registered Member

Version 3 of PSI was atrocious from the standpoint of software quality. I continued to use vn 2 for years, and uninstalled it only recently. For my needs, SUMo better serves the purpose, and is more comprehensive.

12. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Flexera has recently reported the end of life for PSI Version 2 (March 31) .
    This has prompted a few believers to go on the PSI forum to argue or plead regarding keeping it.

If you are for it, you might want to post on the Secunia forum.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  13. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Meh, I've lost interest. Thanks for the heads up though.

14. jadinolf

I like someone who expresses his feelings.

Thanks Krusty.:)

15. Stupendous Man

I never needed or wanted PSI to download patches, but PSI 2 was handy to detect EOL applications, occasionally.
    Sad that Flexera is going to kill PSI 2 and 1.
    I have no hope that any pleas to keep PSI 2 and 1 can change Flexera's mind, nor that Flexera will improve PSI 3 to the extent that PSI 2 users will like it.

16. TairikuOkami

PSI never worked for me, it failed to update, caused BSOD or even 100% CPU usage. Softpedia's watchlist is all I need now. :)

17. Stupendous Man

Today, as announced on March 17, Flexera pulled the plug on PSI 2.0.
    I uninstalled PSI 2.0, installed PSI 3.0, and set all automated features to manual mode only (so no downloading updates automatically, no updating programs automatically, Secunia PSI Agent service set to manual, Secunia Update Agent service set to manual, and disabled Secunia PSI Tray startup item in msconfig).

PSI 3.0 is not PSI 2.0, but it's still useful for detecting EOL applications.
    Well, useful ... today, PSI reported Microsoft .NET Framework 2.x as component of Windows installations as EOL. So far for being useful, as that is a false detection. Flexera/Secunia forum member colebantam reported the false detection to Flexera, so I suppose they'll fix it soon enough. Still, this was not the best advertisement for PSI 3.0, of course.

18. TairikuOkami

I guess there is no alternative? I could use something automatic on mom's computer, to update at least PDF and browser (its autoupdate sucks).

19. Stupendous Man

If you don't like PSI 3.0, Patch My PC Updater is somewhat similar, although the database of supported applications is more limited than PSI's. You can give it a try. I never tried it.

20. jadinolf

I have PSI Version 3.0.0.11005 on 5 computers and all seems to be fine.

I really liked Version 2 but life goes on.

21. Stupendous Man

Two more:
    Heimdal FREE - The database of supported applications is very limited, only 24 software applications.
    Kaspersky Software Updater - For the list of supported applications, zie compatible applications.
    I've tried neither.

22. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Maybe flexera will kill off secunia ? If so.....GOOD!

Regards Eck:)

23. Stupendous Man

Why would that be better than maintaining PSI 3.0?
    PSI 3.0 is not ideal, but it is usable, at least for part of the user base.
    If Flexera wanted, they could've ended support for PSI 3.0 same as for PSI 2.0, but they didn't.

24. jadinolf

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!;)

Seriously, I like it.

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Gees, that's a bit harsh, isn't it? Sure, I gave up using PSI but I still see value in it for others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.