sector by sector image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nfs_champ, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfs_champ

nfs_champ Registered Member

hello

i want to encrypt my harddisk. to make images possible, i need to do a sector by sector image.
    how can i do that in ti10? i found no option. ti10 just images the data and ignores blank sectors.

thx.

2. nfs_champ

new day - new luck.

3. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

if you clone a partition while keeping the size you get an exact sector copy.

Volker

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

That's news to me. My understanding was that the only time TI switches to raw copy mode was when it did not recognise the filesystem (partition type).

F.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nfs_champ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that, as foghorne said, Acronis True Image only uses raw data mode when it cannot recognise the filesystem. Please be aware that we do not guarantee compatibility with third party encryption software. Image creation using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media is always available, though, and it is a recommended scenario in such cases.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. nfs_champ

ok, i have to use a boot-cd. as you state that ati does not support encryption, the best choice right now might be use an linux-cd and make a dd to an external disk.

7. aoz

aoz Registered Member

winmagic (securedoc), encrypt the drive, run acronis from within the running drive, it will create an UN encrypted backup

do a search on winmagic, securedoc, encrypt, in this forum, I've written several threads on this, and have worked with winmagic on testing this also.

nick

8. kubird144

kubird144 Registered Member

i am in the same situation: whole-disk encryted hard drive needing backup. (i use secure doc as well)

i tried acronis but it didn't work properly the way i wanted to use it (to produce an encrypted bit-for-bit backup of the hard drive). whenever i restored the image i would get an "invalid partition table" error.

my solution was to use ghost solution suite 2.0 (aka ghost 11) and used the -ir command line switch to successfully create bit-for-bit images. restoring the image worked flawlessly.

i just wanted to add my feedback in case anyone was looking for a solution that is secure and works.

9. aoz

aoz Registered Member

kubird,

you could use trueimqage/secure doc, as follows

1. encrypt an external drive

2. start trueimage (in windows), and do a backup; essentialy an UNencrypted backup, BUT do the backup to the ENCRypted external drive.
    SO, even though backup is unencrypted, it is on an ENCRYPTED drive.

for disaster recovery, they are able to do a bart PE disk (I haven't tried it yet) of secureDoc; if you boot with this, and have the password on a USB stick, you can UNLOCK the external drive, and have access to the UNencrypted backup, and RESTORE this to another drive.

I have NOT tried the above restore scenario (time issues curently), but after having worked with thiem on this, I feel it is probably reliable.

but am going to test it anyway.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.