Secrecy is an illusion...

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Paul Wilders, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Read the full story here:

www.computerworld.com/itresources/rcstory/0,4167,STO69441_KEY73,00.html

2. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

3. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Excellent non-verbal comment.

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Personally, I think that article was written pretty tongue-in-cheek.

Modem lights? How's about if you have an internal modem? And if you have an external modem, isn't everyone's tin-foil hat large enough to shield it from prying eyes/cameras/listening devices?

Such James-Bondish measures aren't even needed, anyway. If they want you, all they have to do is drive up in a telephone company truck, go to the junction- box that serves your home and put a monitor on your phone-line (if you're on dial-up, anyway). It'll capture everything with no problem whatsoever. Ditto if you have cable modem access (just change trucks! <g> ).

Anyone attempting to set up a listening/observation post in my neighborhood (rural South Carolina)  would do well to have their affairs in order - at the very least, they would experience meeting either myself or one of my neighbors (armed with the Weapon-Of-The-Week), and would have to answer, um, 'roughly-phrased' questions about why they were there at all.

There's a lot to be said for country life! Pete

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Pretty wacky stuff mostly I think... Cause those are Hollywood ideas.. like the article says there are much easier albeit less "exciting" ways to spy on people...

Maybe we should invent a silent keyboard though.. or has someone beaten me to it?

6. snowman

snowman Guest

there is a company just a few miles from my home...that makes software that monitors the brain waves of t.v viewers..........as they mentally react to commercials.............but it doesn't end there....the software "targets" t.v viewers......a person next door can be watching the same t.v station as you but getting entirely differant commercials............

seems we will all need to wear lead halmets when watching t.v...........no joke intended !......may soon need helmets when using computers....if we don't already.............

the software is called perdictive t.v

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

For the modem lights you don't need the actual lights to decode them, as i had some little piece of software emulating the modem lights on my screen and probably more info, so that part of the story is not too strange.
    Lines and code tapping over the lines or wireless, whe know that subject by long.
    With your TDS or packet sniffers you can see what is coming to or leaving your system over the line.

So i wonder if they would not see the brainwaves from me at all would this mean no commercials (finally!!)
    at all for me? Great!
    There are scientific tests indeed, among others with seeing an image, which is measured which brain parts are affected, and via other wires the image from the brain is displayed on a screen. Not sure how far they are with this, but it works.
    You know from the software with which the iris of persons is scanned as an ID they claim to have their intents visible so for instance bad ideas like hijackers would be recognisable via the iris ID, but brainwaves do as well, for sure.
    Just read yesterday most of the FBI people come through the lie-detectors without problems, so one could question the value of that software/test or the maybe amazing education?

8. snowman

snowman Guest

Jooske

a few months ago MS was allowing people to try out one of its new security programs.......which...scanned the person's iris...before a computer could be turned on.

sorry I can offer any links on this subject....its been awhile ago.....but should I ever read anything on this in the future I'll post it.............the info really wasn't made all that public

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.