Secondary snapshot copied with errors

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by beetlejuice, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I just made a copy my primary snapshot to my secondary snapshot however it said it copied with 6 errors, but I can't find out exactly what the errors are. All I can see is the following screen shot of the log. Then I booted to the copied snapshot and the FDISR tray icon was gone. I then rebooted back to the primary snapshot and the icon returned. Should the icon remain in the tray with the different snapshots to manage the program instead of having to rely on the pre-boot screen for this function?
    Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do you have the right version? I notice it is Server Version 305.166 that you are using. Is that the version you want to use?

3. beetlejuice

That's what I d/lded from Raxco's site after filling out the info and clicking this box (see screenshot)

I know I checked the top box. (FirstDefense-ISR for Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Home/Professional - 5.1 MB)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm not sure why you are getting the server version from that location. o_O

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes.

You could remove or delete the last snapshot with errors and make a new copy of the primary. Not sure if that will help. Or, you could try another update to the snapshot with errors and see if the errors still show in the log.
    If it were me, I would try to get the correct version somehow.

6. beetlejuice

I went right to Leapfrog and verified that what I d/lded from them is the correct version.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Ron,BJ

Don't need to delete or remove. Just do another copy, and chances are excellent there will be no errors. If so all should be okay.

BJ to expand the log click on the plus sign

I do think you might have the wrong version. Did you download from Leapfrog or Raxco??

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do the trial versions have a different numbering scheme by chance?

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@beetlejuice et al: did you fix your problem?

I recently had a similar problem: ie snapshots with errors

There is a list of actions that can cause copy/update errors...some of them are detailed in the forum posts. There are some software conflicts detailed i the posts.

I deliberately and accidentally (LOL) tried to "squeeze" FDISR
    I use "single partition set-up"

I defragged with PD7, Imaged first (with Terabyte natch)

Then installed FDISR, turned everything off that I could, and ran it: I had, Primary + Secondary on Primary HD in System partition and archive in External HD.

THEN...
    In no particular order (I've forgotten the exact sequence);
    I shrunk my system partition to absolutely smallest size as seen by BING to reimage with FDISR preboot turned off, rebooted into the new smaller system partition,
    Could not mount static images of secondary snapshot: as expected really

Enlarged Partition, Installed several softs, ran them, played with them, uninstalled, erased a few files,did a registry clean-up,

Tried to copy/update secondary snapshot and had 238 errors!!!
    Update archive with no errors

Rebooted with FDISR preboot enabled and updated secondary with 6 errors.

Not panicing, just curious :cautious:
    Got some advice from Raxco.

Tried several times to update secondary and always got 6 errors.
    The error log is specific but not helpful in that it gives little clue as to what to fix to prevent errors (to doofi like me anyway). :doubt:

Copy to archive never produced errors which is I suspect a function of the archive set-up.

Deleted the Secondary snapshot, rebooted, and recreated secondary snapshot without errors, copied to archive.

Obviously this "experimenting" doesn' t prove anything.
    I have no way of testing validity of "primary" other than hoping the app works as promised :gack: and having functioning box.

My system is working and seems to have lost nothing.
    I have booted into my secondary with success.

Moving data around with some defraggers or partition movement will interfere with proper functioning of FDISR.
    Registry cleaners will also probably produce some faults.
    I suspect that uninstalling software from the primary may create copy/update errors as opposed to installing into back-up snapshots to trial.

However at the end of all that I have to say that all appears well.
    What ever I managed to do was fixable.
    LOL, once again I am happy that software retailers do not require IQ test prior to selling to me. I pity Susie Colon.

I have reinstalled my image of the shrunken partition as above and booted to it with no problem. Just had to enlarge the partition to allow FDISR enough space to do its' stuff with the snapshots.

Not sure if any of that is helpful.
    Longboard.

10. Peter2150

BJ

Who did you buy FD from, I suspect Raxco. If so I would avoid downloading from anything but Raxco. If you download a version from Leapfrog Raxco won't support it.

Longboard.

What I get from your experiment with the partitioning is Don't:D

Pete

11. Longboard

@Peter2150

Pete
    That is partially correct :)
    AS you know I use the terabyte apps for partition work and imaging.

Shrinking the partition with BING allowed a "smaller" image file size: not so much with data compression but with a reinstall to a much smaller partition size.

As in: the "unmovable" blocks in the partition apparently define the size of the partition that the image can be reinstalled to. I believe this is a function of all imageing apps (?)

Using PD you can get a rough idea of how data is spread across a partition you might want to image or copy.

"Shrinking" the partition with BING results in a non-destructive physical move of the data blocks and which is subsequently reflected in the size of the reinstall.

As I understand FDisr (and other utilities) places files in certain physical parts of the partition and when they are moved, imaged and reinstalled then initially FDISR cannot find the data (?)

There needs to be physical space to work with the snapshots obviously.

When I did a simple shrink, image , reinstall and reboot, FDISR could not find the files (I think the ISR files) at first reboot.

Rebooted again and no problem.

I have successfully imaged with BING (which works even below DOS environment i think) and rebooted with FDISR preboot on and off.

I would only image with IFW with Pre-boot off (just not sure what that might do if FDISR preboot was on) realistically there should not be a problem with PHYLOCK. Not sure about IFD.

I am very happy the way things have worked out between these two utilities.

I suspect some of my errors was from doing multiplr installs, uninstalls and then using a registry cleaner as has been previously noted, with and without shrinking partitions.

I was posting to describe some initial pitfalls with getting used to setting up protocols for my self and in hope it might help BJ.

Regards
    Longboard
    PS Tereabyte has a free ISO burner that is a dream to use.

12. Peter2150

Hi Longboard

You are absolutely right. It's just like defragging without excluding FDISR's key file. First reboot you won't see preboot. Next one it is fixed.
    Good and glad to know it worked.

Pete

13. Longboard

@beetle juice

Did you sort this out

I have re-read your OP: having problems making FIRST copy of primary after installation yes?

There appear to be some utilities which can cause errors
    Anybody correct me if I'm wrong :blink:
    KAV
    PG
    ?Ewido guard
    maybe other system firewalls.
    Defrag running at time?

Possibly some boot managers?
    other apps wanting control of MBR?

The good thing is having created the first copy of primary you can then test each utility in turn and "update of secondary snapshot" will only take 2-3 minutes.

OK?

regards.

14. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hello Longboard,

I understand that you successfully resized your system partition, great.

I just like to add that another option would be to:
    1. Image your primary partition..
    2. repartition your disk by simply deleting and creating the system partition with the desired size.
    3. restore from the image.

My experience with ATI is that it doesn't matter that you restore to a destination of different size.
    Just another suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.