searchx.cc - hijackthis log

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by aspiralformation, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aspiralformation

aspiralformation Registered Member

i have this terrible searchx.cc virus. i've run adaware6, spybot & cwshredder (all updated versions). cwshredder, when run in safe mode, said it fixed the searchx.cc cws. i no longer have the searchx.cc homepage, but i think that it will set itself back again soon because of the problem described below.

i still have a problem with a strange file called res.dll. i think that it is located in windows\system32 (and possibly coppied to other places, maybe even every single folder on my disc), but i cannot see it.

my "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs" is set to "C:\windows\system32\res.dll" and i cannot change the value.

also, i cannot make a file called res.dll (or any dll having the string "res" anywhere in the filename) anywhere on my hard disk. this is causing tons of problems: many programs will not install because they try to write dll files with "res" in their filenames.

here is my hijackthis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 10:26:40 AM, on 5/2/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver3\LVCOMS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\gearsec.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Registrar Lite\rl.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\nydel\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\ikmc.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\ikmc.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\ikmc.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\ikmc.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\ikmc.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\ikmc.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EE9A18B8-AA6D-49E3-AB2F-A12EDFF111FB} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ikmc.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nForce Tray Options] sstray.exe /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver3\LVCOMS.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\\DeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: UltraMon.lnk = C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to AD Black List - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddToADBlackList.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Block All Images from the Same Server - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\AddAllToADBlackList.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Highlight - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Highlight.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open All Links in This Page... - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\OpenAllLinks.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Search - C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Search.htm
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...director/sw.cab
    O16 - DPF: {2917297F-F02B-4B9D-81DF-494B6333150B} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MineSweeper.cab
    O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe...StatsClient.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/...8027.7023032407
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-440000000000} - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...ash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...ash/swflash.cab

any help will be greatly appreciated.

-aspiralformation

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Download CopyLock from: http://www10.brinkster.com/expl0iter/freeatlast/CopyLock.zip

Unzip and run the program:
    set up these options:
    -Check- 'Show Source paths'
    -Check: 'Allow Downgrade'

Click the 'Add' tab->'Files to rename'
    In the 'Look in..' Dialogue box navigate to your
    C:\WINDOWS\System32 directory and stop there!
    (*you will not see the file!)
    Copy and paste into the 'File name' field:
    res.DLL
    Hit ->Add.
    In the result (destination) erase entire output (copy of...) and
    paste this, instead:
    res.DLX
    Hit 'ok' (On warning of different extension as well)
    and on the main box hit the->'Apply' tab
    **You will be asked to restart computer!
    Do so right away, next--
    navigate to System32 and delete the "res.DLX"
    file, as it'll be visible!

***ATTENTION***
    If you get "file not found" error during the process, that
    means it will not work.

Post back when you are done.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.