searchsquire

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by emile curate, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emile curate

emile curate Registered Member

Hi, each time I run the anti-spyware of 'Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 8' , the spyware 'searchsquire' is found. This spyware is not found by 'Spysweeper', 'Spycatcher', 'Spybot search and detect'.Could you explain me what is this spyware and why it is found only by Acronis anti-spyware?
    I thank you, emile curate

2. zebis

zebis Registered Member

high emile,

just to let you know, i as well have encountered the same searchsquire entry.

Acronis removes it but then somehow it manages to return. I keep getting it repeatedly.

Perhaps acronis can put this in it's spyware shield database. maybe it already is.
    somehow it still gets past all my shields and detectors. I.E. spysweeper.

adaware does not find it, spysweeper and spybot search and destroy. The only one that does detect it is acronis PES. I am sure there is a solution to this problem. And i'm sure acronis will find a way to prevent it from reocurring.

cheers,

zebis

3. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I found that Spybot Search and Destroy is putting Searchsquire on my PC. If I remove it with PES and then run Spybot immunize function then Spybot says 'There is 1 additional protection possible, please immunize'. If I then immunize with Spybot then Searchsquire is back on my PC. Spybot seems to be the culprit so check it out and see if that's why you keep getting it on your machine.

4. zebis

zebis Registered Member

hey guys and gals

I find that if i run adaware se, it finds the entry that spybot puts in,. Supposedly it's a dummy file of some form.

When i reimmunize spybot. And run adaware again , it finds the same entry again. Spybot claims it is put there as a dummy file.

I am going to scan with pes8 and then reimmunize with spybot and then scan again with pes8 to see.

I will post back.

zebis

5. zebis

zebis Registered Member

Hey guys and gals,

It seems you are right. i just scanned with pes8 and nothing. I reimmunized spybot and ran pes8 again. Interesting that pes8 detects it a SearchSquire.

I am going to reimmunize again with spybot and then run adaware to see again what it comes up with.

It may be a false alarm but i don't think spybot would put a malicious piece of code in there software. They are touted as one of the best free spyware removal utilities and i don't think they would like to have there reputation tarnished. Funny , I have noticed this for a long time now. But usually adaware finds it. It's nice to know that pes8 finds it and actually gives it the SearchSquire. Adware i beleive does not lable it as searchsquire.

Spybot claims it's a dummy .dll file there for a reason to give the appearence of adware or something to that effect.

HMMMMM makes me woder??

Zebis

6. zebis

zebis Registered Member

Hey,

just reimmunized with spybot, version 1.4rc2 new release. Adaware does no longer find. However spybot version 1.3, Adaware does find it. Seems spybot 1.4rc2 was fixed for Adaware se 1.05.

Now pes8 finds it as searchsquire?. ..... interesting.

This is going to take some time to figure this one out.

cheers ,

Zebis

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I believe you'll find that the valid Spybot entry concerning SearchSquire....is nothing more than Spybot's Immunization feature placing SearchSquire in the Restricted Zone of IE.

Spybot's Immunization function consistes of 3 areas....ActiveX protection(CLSID killbits), Cookie protection and Restricted Sites protection.

This will not be the first time an adware\spyware cleaning program has had a False postive concerning a valid entry by a program such as Spybot.

Valid entry being found falsely by some programs:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\searchsquire.com

A Search of the Forums here at Wilders using Searchsquire....will offer quite a few threads concering this matter.

Regards,
    Bubba

8. werne

werne Registered Member

So how about this problem Acronis representatives, are you going to fix this obvious false positive?

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

I have contacted our Development Team and they say the Searchsquire is spyware and should be deleted. However, you may uncheck it if you want to delete this item.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thanks for your response Ilya,

While there are many of us that do not question the correctness of the Development Teams flagging of SearchSquire as spyware....the Team needs to realize they are Falsely flagging a valid Internet Explorer Restricted Zone entry....as noted in post # 7 and in the pic attached below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Ilya,

When I see other complains about false positives and Acronis Privacy Expert, your answer seems to be a standard useless phrase and don't solve the REAL problem with Privacy Expert: unacceptable quantity of F/P's.

With your answer the case is not closed or solved.

Uncheck all false positives is madness, when it concerns just one or two F/P's, ok, but that is not the issue.

Your "Development Team" have a real job to do: solve ALL problems with F/P's.

When they can't will or do so, it's a very big shame for both Acronis and their "Development Team".

12. werne

werne Registered Member

Ilya,

If you would read this thread a little bit closer, you would realize that most people don't doubt that searchsquire is spyware. Only that Spybot's immunization function puts a legitimate enty into the registry in a attempt to prevent infection by searchsquire. This entry is not searchsquire and is not spyware. What we would like you and your development team to do is eliminate the false positive that PES 8 generates when it sees the entry by Spybot. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Acronis Development Team have examined the proble more thoroughly and they admit that there is a problem in Acronis Privacy Expert Suite. It will be fixed very soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Ilya,

Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed of the Development Team's findings.

Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.