Search help . . .

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by BobJ, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobJ

BobJ Registered Member

In trying to use the "advanced search" function on this board, I wanted to see if I could find any posts on "verify" versus "check" versus "validate" so that I wouldn't have to ask a question that's already been asked and answered many times here (see my post at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=175330).

But I couldn't find any help selection on the advanced search to see if there were any Boolean operators I was supposed to use for multiple words. Just using a single word like "check" gives far too many results to be pertinent.

I did look on the FAQ's and saw the link to the post at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=106984 explaining the limitations of the forum search engine.

I tried putting "Archive Verification" in the advanced search by "key word(s)" field, but all I got were posts containing the word "Archive", so it seemed that the search was only going by the first word.

So, how do I search on multiple words and phrases, or should I use Google as the linked post on the FAQ instructs??

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If you put multiple words, it is an automatic AND search, so the results returned should contain all the words that were on the keywords line.

Searching the ATI section for just the word: archive

search-archive-only.jpg

search-archive-only-results.jpg

Searching the ATI section for both words: archive verification

search-archive-verif.jpg

search-archive-verif-results.jpg

Each post returned in the results definitely contains both archive and verification. Note that using a plus sign, ( such as +verification ), will return the same results as it did without the plus sign, so that confirms the implied AND operation.

The minus sign seems to work to return results containing the first word (or words), but not the minus signed word.

Putting quotes around "archive verification" does not appear to make it search for the phrase "archive verification". It simply returns the same AND based results noted above, meaning posts containing both words simply somewhere in the post bodies. You may need to use Google for phrases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.