Search.disconnect says Google unavailable

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by soho, May 5, 2016.

1. soho

soho Registered Member

I noticed yesterday when using search.disconnect that they said Google was temporarily unavailable. I didn't think much of it, but tried again today and both my laptop PC and Android phone show the same message that Google is unavailable. Has anyone else seen this? I've been using this search provider for about s year and it has been great up until now.

2. guest

guest Guest

You are not the only one :)
    This has been mentioned on their twitter-account yesterday: "We're working on a solution"

3. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Disconnect Search is defaulting to Bing for me with the message "Google is currently unavailable in Disconnect Search." I wonder if Google cut them off like they did to Scroogle.com a few years ago.

Disconnect Search always returned better results for me than other Google proxies like Startpage, so I hope it returns soon.

4. soho

soho Registered Member

Agreed. I found they were much better than start page or duckduckgo. It's starting to look like it is more than a temporary problem. That would be too bad as it was my goto search proxy.

5. Ross2468

Ross2468 Registered Member

I have disconnect premium which uses a VPN to connect ot the net, if I have this do I even need to use the Disconnect Search browser plugin to search Google?

6. SouthPark

Disconnect Search now defaults to DuckDuckGo search, with Google no longer an option from the drop-down menu (only Yahoo and Bing).

7. compleo

compleo Registered Member

Does Disconnect search have any settings.I constantly get this message when i search.

DDG.JPG

8. SouthPark

Techcrunch explains why Disconnect now uses DDG:

9. soho

soho Registered Member

Southpark, thanks for posting that above as I had not seen anything as to why this happened. In the meantime I've run extensive tests comparing DuckDuck and StartPage vs Google and StartPage wins hands down. The results have actually been very good and I'm happy using them at this time.

10. Yes it's down for me too. I think Google is being naughty and cutting them off.

11. SouthPark

I've found a service that's nearly identical to how Disconnect proxied Google:

https://searx.me

I don't know much about the company behind it, though it offers unfiltered searches and allows viewing of cached results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.