Search Assistant

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by mauwth, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mauwth

mauwth Registered Member

Since yesterday at startup I have a toolbar with a textbox and search button on my taskbar that's named "Search Assistant". Right-clicking it let's you choose between "Blazefind", "Google", "MSN" and "Yahoo". If you enter something and press "Search", IE opens the search engine you chose before. I didn't put this toolbar there, I don't need it, it ****s up my taskbar and I don't know where it came from. I tried to deactivate it, but every time I restart my computer it's there again. I deleted all entries in my registry that possibly link to it, but it won't dissappear. Also, I can't change my IE settings anymore (Tools >> Internet Options). It says "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer." Can anyone help me? Thanks ...

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Administrator

Hi mauwth, and welcome.

Please follow the instructions and steps here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

After you have downloaded HijackThis, create a new, permanent folder on your C drive and unzip Hijackthis.exe into the new folder. Run the program, then when the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will then change to a "Save Log" button. Press the "Save Log" button. Copy and paste the entire contents of the log here in this thread. NOTE: Most of what it lists will be harmless and even essential - so, do NOT fix anything yet. Someone will review your log and give you instructions on what needs to be fixed.

Regards,

snap

3. mauwth

mauwth Registered Member

Thanks for your advice Snap, but I could eliminate it in the meanwhile. Have a good one, Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.