Seamonkey - help me with google albums viewing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by act8192, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Since Opera will end up in my trash bin after years of use, I'm learning about Seamonkey what I haven't learned before in little use I did so far. NoScript works fine, is fabulous, most things are fine except one.
    When someone sends me a link or some invitation to look at an album in picasa web or google web or picasa google+ web ... click to look at the pictures does nothing, no thumbnails, absolutely nothing. Same links are ok in Opera 12.14.
    How do I do it?

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't know why but I'd certainly ask here.

3. act8192

Thanks. I may have to do that. I just so despise setting up an account on yet another forum. Hard to believe there isn't one soul here who uses Seamonkey and gets links from people who save pictures on google's picasa.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. act8192

Thank you Ronjor. I saw that thread as well. But I do not see any such wording "load images...from originating server" nor "load images". The only thing I see in SeaMonkey is Tools > Image Manager, and in it is "allow images from this website" which is turned on. Arrgghh.
    Perhaps they speak different language on the Linux side.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. MyBlackBox

MyBlackBox Registered Member

Can you get the link via right-click? If so, copy link url... Then click on the noscript icon, select options, add the link and select 'Allow'.

8. act8192

@MyBlackBox,
    Scripts weren't an issue at all. That's one part of SM I understand. Thanks anyway.

@Ronjor,
    Thank you. I really appreciate it.
    That one enormous Mozilla help file was sufficient to get me going. I kept looking for Tools/Options. Turns out it's Edit Preferences here. And that "Load all images" settings is indeed here. That works. I have to figure out how to make it site-specific, like in Opera (I sure will miss it), but that's next chapter of learning.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good to hear and I'm glad it got you going.

10. Daveski17

If you are interested act8192 here are some extensions that may make SeaMonkey easier to use.

This first one enables you to use most extensions on the SeaMonkey extension page:

Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks 1.3

This download manager is not unlike Opera's original download manager:

Jökulsárlón Download Manager 0.4

This will give you the ability to double-click tabs closed as in Opera 12. It has other options as well.

Tab Clicking Options 0.6.9

This preferences bar is highly customisable & works better on SeaMonkey than Firefox IMO. It is very like the K-Meleon preferences bar.

PrefBar 6.2.0

I use all of these on SeaMonkey 2.19.

11. act8192

I'm on Seamonkey 2.19, like yours.

1. Why would I want to disble compatibility check? If I were to put in some add-on/plugin/extension that's not compatible, it seems I'll be asking for trouble. Yes? No?

2. Why do I need a download manager? I don't know what that is. If I need to download something, I just do it in Opera or Seamonkey. Get the prompt to save and it's done. I guess I have no idea what a Download Manager is. Was it some special thing in Opera?
    Maybe I do see what it is. List of what got downloaded and some statistics. Hmmm, it is missing in Seamonkey.

3. Reopening closed tabs in Opera is simple. Here less so, but Undo Close Tab in that add-on might be useful. But it is in History, so does it really give me much? Oh, and it says not for SM 2.19, here we go on compatibility issue.

4. PrefBar sounds interesting. Also not for 2.19.

I realize these are basic questions, but that is precisely my problem with browsers other than Opera - the need for all that extra stuff which should be builtin. That said, I appreciate your followup to this thread. Any more answers will be more than welcome :)

12. Daveski17

No, you should be OK. The SeaMonkey version numbers are what is really confusing the page, hence all of the incompatibility notices. The disable compatibility check was especially developed for SeaMonkey for this purpose. I've been using it for ages with no ill effects. In fact, I learnt about it from some of the developers who use mozillaZine.

The Jokulsarlon download manager was coded for SM by KaiRo to be similar to the Opera manager. Again, I've used it for a while. It opens in a tab as you download & gives you info about the download in progress. It isn't an absolute must but I thought it was quite like Opera's original manager.

You should be fine with it. I've used it for ages. There was a time when there was a SeaMonkey add-on that allowed you to just click a tab off like most browsers do. I'm used to double-clicking them off in Opera (old version) & Maxthon.

Honestly, you should be fine once the disable compatibility extension is added. Most extensions will work fine. If you are that worried discuss it on the SeaMonkey boards at mozillaZine.

This all started with the Mozilla rapid release cycle, as SeaMonkey uses the same rendering engine as Firefox. It also killed K-Meleon (PrefBar was originally part of K-Meleon). The 'dodge' around catching up was to use the disable compatibility extension to compensate for the ridiculous need to upgrade Gecko every five minutes Chrome-style.

I have been using SeaMonkey since #1.1.12 (about five years) & I'm still using it.

13. act8192

Many, many thanks. This is all quite encouraging, especially that you speak from real experience. I shall do as you suggest. Slowly at first, but since Opera has strayed (staying on v12 for now), I have to do this.

14. Daveski17

You're welcome. I actually started using SeaMonkey & Opera when the Firefox 3 upgrade started to give me problems. I like Opera 15 but it needs some more development, that's for sure. I'm a bit worried about what's going on with Firefox at the moment & I don't know what's going to happen to it in the future. The one thing that I have come to rely on in browsing is SeaMonkey. The SeaMonkey Council are quite resistant to change for change's sake & SeaMonkey has been going for quite a while now in its present form. SeaMonkey is usually my default browser these days.

15. Daveski17

I think that the Jokulsarlon Download Manager is a bit glitchy for SM 2.19 so I have decided to uninstall it. I just liked the fact it opened in a tab.

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I'm giving SeaMonkey a trial as part of my search to find an Opera replacement. :'(

So far I'm surprised at how much I like it. It works well with Sandboxie (which is a big plus) and seems quite a friendly browser :)

17. act8192

As I mentioned earlier, I've use SeaMonkey just a bit before. Only for one site actually - my bank, which never liked Opera.
    Now, I've been looking more into NoScript, and I have a hunch it's actually even neater than in Opera.
    In Opera you permit javascript for a specific site, but you don't see what foreign scripts might be there from sites on their webpage.
    Here, it is totally obvious, once you get the hang of the meaning of all the indicators.
    With scripts blocked globally, I went to some site recently, and then slowly, one by one started permitting the site's own script, and googleapis and one other foreign till it worked. Eight other links are blocked and SM lists which.
    Bit of a pain to setup those details initially but the control is really there.
    This post is just sharing, not a question. And we've strayed from the thread title big time :(

18. Daveski17

SeaMonkey often needs a few tweaks, often with plug-ins. Because it uses the same rendering engine as Firefox I can copy the entire plug-ins folder from Firefox into it (Local C-Drive - Program Files). Or you can just make a folder & download/copy the np-mswmp.dll file into it. This helps with running flash on some sites.

19. Daveski17

I use RequestPolicy alongside NoScript with SeaMonkey. Like NS it can take some getting used to but it really tweaks the control you have with NoScript.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.