SeaMonkey 2.0.12

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

We shall patiently await cogent arguments to backup these claims.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You'll be waiting an eternity then, as nothing can prove any browser is the *best*. On topic, it's a good little browser even if it has a bit more than I need. Right now I'm testing out FF4 B12, but I may give SM another spin as well.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I asked for arguments, not proof, because I agree that "best" is subjective, at best. Plus Daveski's arguments may have entertainment value if nothing else ;)

From what I've read, I can't understand how SM can be smaller (basic post-install footprint size on the computer) than Fx since SM is a "suite".

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Go the whole hog and try the Minefield instead. I'm using the Minefield builds entirely which is possible since I have minimal add-on/theme requirements.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hehe, well around here "arguments" end up being presented as "proof" :p I agree that Dave entertains (I mean that in a completely friendly way), lol. I'm not sure how SM pulls off the size difference either. Of course you're talking to a fellow that hasn't dealt with it in a while.

7. Daveski17

Oh no ... not cogent arguments ... :eek:

IMHO SM is the lightest & most trouble-free portable browser I have used to date. My preference for SM over Firefox is basically just a personal thing. The beta SM is coming along nicely. I'm just a huge fan of the brine shrimp & have been for a number of years now. :)

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Artemia salina, IIRC. The lab I was working in was studying the critter with aquaculture in mind.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't have any real requirements, as much as just a few I am used to having with me. I'm assuming by now even Minefield builds are probably okay with the most popular of extensions.

10. Daveski17

Well ... when it comes to fish, if it isn't cod & chips with mushy peas I'm not really interested ... :D :cool:

11. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I don't know either why SeaMonkey is smaller. I like Firefox and Thunderbird but discovered that SeaMonkey used less RAM than Firefox and Thunderbird. I like SM for similar reasons I like Firefox and Thunderbird, but features I use are more convenient with SeaMonkey. I use Firefox, Google Chrome, K-Meleon, and IE 8 also. SeaMonkey has in one application four things I use a lot, browser, email client, html composer, and address book, also the extension Lightning a calendar. I work at a home office so SeaMonkey is the best default for me. It has some built in features that you can only get with extensions in other Gecko and Chrome browsers. I used CS or Cookie Monster for example, but SeaMonkey has a built in cookie manager that you can set permissions for a site with two clicks. When I am away from home I leave my computer on and SeaMonkey mail open, it sends email about events and tasks to my mobile.

When I am away for longer periods I use the SeaMonkey on my usb office.

I administer computers and networks for my kinfolk, more attention to the old folk. I'm 68 so I'm talking about folk in late 80s and 90s who I introduced first to Firefox and Thunderbird; although when I introduced them to SeaMonkey they liked it better. There is a niche for an internet suite, and I say SM is the one. I was reluctant to use SM in the beginning; it had no calendar. I didn't want to use Microsoft even though I bought a copy in a fit of weakness. Ms Office has too many features, most of which I don't use, don't need.

SeaMonkey with Lightning, BBCodeXtra, and Session Manager is perfect for home office; it is my work horse, my general browser. The other browsers I use clerical, their multiple home page feature allows home pages of my interests and research. I sometimes have several tabs in SM, and sometimes have two or three browsers open. SeaMonkey, Jarte, WordWeb, Notepad, Copernic Desktop Search 2.3 build 18, and the browsers are core of my Saint Satin Stain Office Suite. I figure an office suite needs multiple browsers with SeaMonkey as default.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. Daveski17

Cheers for the info :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.