Seagate Expansion Drive USB 3.0

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Osaban, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've just bought a Seagate Expansion Drive USB 3.0 - 2 TB and performed a backup using Samsung's own utility "Recovery" which has worked reliably a couple of times.

These are the figures of my first backup: Size of volume 72.3 GB, backup rate using a USB 3.0 port 102 MB/sec, overall time 11.30 minutes.

I performed the same operation with a Western Digital My Book USB 2.0 - 1 TB: using a USB 2.0 port 95 MB/sec, overall time 13 minutes.

The Seagate with USB 3.0 was faster, but not significantly, and I wonder whether these figures are to be considered normal under these circumstances. I was expecting a lot more speed and I wonder whether the type and make of the drive itself can be responsible for differences in backup speed.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's impossible to get 95 MB/s on USB 2.0, are you sure you're not mistaken? Only way for it to be USB 2.0 is 95 Mbit/s, or a kind of incremental/partial backup.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm pretty sure the figures on the GUI were MB/sec. As of the type of backup I can't be sure (it doesn't say anything) but it could be a differential one. I'll have to do more tests (will try on another drive when I have time), regardless of this issue, the USB 3.0 is only slightly faster than 2.0 and was wondering what kind of speeds other people were experiencing with USB 3.0

Edit: Done a test on a small empty USB 2.0 drive, speed is only about 30MB/sec but still MB. I will try a new backup in a few hours and see if speed picks up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.