Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive is Ticking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

And by ticking I mean after I installed it, I heard a ticking sound like a clock coming from it :blink: Its the Seagate Barracuda 7200.1.1 32MB Cache 500GB.

Also after I installed it, Windows Vista ultimate took over 3 hours to install, or rather I adandoned the process as it hadn't even got to the user name setup by this amount of time :doubt: Any Idea's people o_O

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Either it is a known hard-drive fault/problem, or could be just excessive noise/hard-drive activity.

On a recent laptop, I replaced one new hard drive with another new one, but the problem was still there. The problem was actually coming from constant live indexing by windows search.

Try turning off 'Windows search'.

1)Click on the vista start and type 'services'.
    2)Find the one called 'windows search', right-click and select 'properties'.
    3)Stop the service and disable the start-up.
    4)Reboot. Wait a short while (for system to adjust).

Let me know if that helped.

Attached Files:

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If it's a new drive, I'd take it back and return it for another one before it explodes! ;)

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Tick of death?

I'm running a Q6600 @3.0GHz with 4GB of DDR2 memory and it takes me 15min. to install XP home. I have a Seagate Barracuda 250GB and it's really quite. A hard drive that is ticking is not a good thing :(

Nice system specs :thumb:.

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

thanks guys, I removed it and replaced it with a Samsung one, no ticking :ninja: I'll be returning it tomorrow, the thing cost me $105 too.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

inner, did you just adjust the clock in the bios to overclock, or did you do something else. I have a Q6600 on a machine with a Gigabyte EP45 mainboard, and was wondering about Oc'ing it to 2.66

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

My Q6600 GO (slacr) has a VID(1.325) and all I needed to do was change the FSB to 334 and it seems stable from all the tests I have ran. I started out about 2.6 and worked my way up. I didn't need to change any voltages and so far I'm happy with it. My MB doesn't allow me to lower the CPU voltage so grabbed all the speed I could get at stock volts. That's a 25% OC practically for free :).

Most Q6600's overclock well, but they do run warm which requires a good heatsink. 2.66 or more shouldn't be a problem for you at all. Get all you can get at stock volts as long as it's cool and stable. My Prime95 short FFT's max. temps are 56C with CoreTemp and that's with a room temp of 72-74F or around 23C. I really think the temps are actually a little lower (50-52C) according to what I've found after calibrating Speedfan and RealTemp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.