SCSI to SATA?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zorina, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zorina

zorina Registered Member

I am using Acronis True Image v. 8

I just added new WD Raptor SATA drive (WD740GD ) drive to my system to replace an aging SCSI drive. I have new ASUS A8N-SLI mbo with the latest bios (1007).

I connected the SATA drive to a black Nvidia SATA controller. I downloaded and installed the latest Nvidia chipset drivers.

Windows XP SP2 is installed on the SCSI drive.

Booting from the SCSI drive I see that the computer recognizes the new SATA drive and it is seen in Windows Computer Management as NTFS Healthy (active) status.

Using Acronis software clone utility I copied the SCSI OS to the new SATA drive.

I then set the BIOS to boot from the new SATA drive but I get an error message - unable to find operating system and the computer wont boot.

I also tried to boot to the SATA drive using an Acronis rescue disk I made from the SCSI drive but I got the following error:
    Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

Is there anyway to image or clone my SCSI operating system (which has the Nvidia SATA drivers) to the SATA drive?
    Or am I doomed to reinstall the operating system and start from scratch?

Thank you,
    Zorina

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello zorina,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Do you remove the old disk (SCSI drive) from your PC? If not, please remove and try to boot from the new disk. If the problem remains please do the following:

- Download the Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send the 'report.txt' file from the floppy disk to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Irina Shirokova.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. neil conway

neil conway Guest

as sata drivers have to be installed prior to the o/s try this, now your o/s is on sata drive. remove old drive so only new one left, boot from xp cd and press F6 to install third party raid drivers, install your sata drivers, then continue xp installation by choosing the repair option. should end up with working drive, with all old data there. then make rescue image of drive where ever you want through acronis in windows, but keep old drive. until acronis supports sata drives fully you may need the old drive to boot into windows so you can use acronis on it, in order to restore the saved image onto your sata drive through windows. as you did before make restored partition active. switch off, remove scsi drive and reboot off new one. I had same problem and had to use same work around to install my sata drive and to restore an image if I want to. you will more than likely not be able to use the acronis rescue media in order to boot into acronis at start up, as acronis may not yet recognise your sata controller as drivers may not yet be available within the acronis program. hence the work around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.